Thread: Turkey Legs
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Smoke & Beers
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinPaPa View Post
I am going to be smoking Turkey Legs for the first time for my extended family. I need some ideas of prep for the legs. I have some pecan and a little apple for the smoking. What is best for seasonings.
Here is the best kick arse recipe for Turkey Legs...I got it off the internet several years ago and it is the BEST!

I use apple or cherry wood for the legs...

Awesome Smoked Turkey Legs

This smoked turkey legs recipe comes with a wonderful brine and spice-rub that fill these turkey drumsticks with flavor. You'll need to have a meat-smoker handy to get the full, smokey flavor you're looking for.
Ingredients:
8 - 12 turkey legs
Brine:
1 gallon water
1 C. kosher salt
1/2 C. sugar
2 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp ground pepper
1 tsp rubbed sage
1 tsp ground cumin

Instructions: Rinse turkey legs in cold water, pat dry. For brine, combine brine ingredients in large pan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and let cool to room temperature. Pour into container (a large Rubbermaid container with lid works well) and refrigerate brine until cold (approximately 35-40 degrees F).
Place the turkey legs into brine. Let soak four to six hours. Remove legs, rinse well, and discard brine. Dry drumsticks well with paper towels.
Prepare Turkey Drumstick “wet rub” with the following ingredients:
3 Tbsp onion powder
2 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp rubbed sage
3 Tbsp vegetable or light olive oil

In small bowl, combine spice rub ingredients with fork til well mixed. Rub onto turkey legs. Let drumsticks sit out for about one hour. Place turkey legs into smoker at 225 degrees F. A light-flavored wood is best for turkey. Apple wood works well and so does cherry wood.
Smoke legs for four to six hours, til meat is nearly falling off the bone. Remove legs from smoker, and let rest for half an hour. Devour greedily.
Weber One Touch Gold & a Weber 22 1/2" Silver
Traeger Jr
2 UDS's Born 9-19-08 & 3-6-09
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
[COLOR=red][COLOR=black]Super Fast[/COLOR][B] RED THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]

"If you got them by the MOINK balls, their hearts and minds will follow" -John Wayne
Smoke & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->