I don't get low and slow....

I've had great results both ways, but I do like the flavor from having longer exposure to the smoke. When doing hot and briskets, I've gotten better fat render when lowering the temps for the last part of the cook.

On my pellet grill, hot and fast doesn’t get much smoked flavor. So it’s either low and slow or add a smoke tube. My other smokers work fine hot and fast though, so 275-325 is usually how I do those.

What are your thoughts on white bread?

Exactly! I can't imagine telling someone "this is the only way to cook" I don't approach any situation in life that way. Even at work "this is what has worked for me in the past" If that can help someone out-fantastic! If they can take it, twist it, and give me a way to improve (be it food, or at work) then even better!

'my way is the best way, your way is wrong' has always just sounded so ignorant to me (and I make a LOT of ignorant statements)

Exactly! I can't imagine telling someone "this is the only way to cook" I don't approach any situation in life that way. Even at work "this is what has worked for me in the past" If that can help someone out-fantastic! If they can take it, twist it, and give me a way to improve (be it food, or at work) then even better!

'my way is the best way, your way is wrong' has always just sounded so ignorant to me (and I make a LOT of ignorant statements)

Well Said!

Except when I’m right and they are wrong.

Many folks' smokers (pellet for example) dont produce smoke at high temperatures, so lower cooks are the rule for them.

As was stated earlier, pork butt has a wide window to have them come out great so they darn near come out great regardless. Trickier cuts like brisket and ribs aren't so easy at temps approaching 400.

I've done both. I think butt turns out better low and slow, brisket can take a bit faster. 275-300 is still a pretty low cook temperature as most things go.

Many folks' smokers (pellet for example) dont produce smoke at high temperatures, so lower cooks are the rule for them.

As was stated earlier, pork butt has a wide window to have them come out great so they darn near come out great regardless. Trickier cuts like brisket and ribs aren't so easy at temps approaching 400.

This ... I found the done window on hot and fast ribs is very narrow.

As someone else mentioned I think it depends alot on the cooker you are using. i did a chuck roast yesterday and started out low and slow until the stall and then bumped it up after I wrapped it. I used my Weber Smokefire and the smoke ring and flavor were impressive. It was just as good as anything I've done on my WSM, kettle, or PK360. I think if I had started out at 275 from the beginning the smoke would have been lacking. On a big offset with a ton of airflow I wouldn't mess with low and slow at all.

I used to play golf with a guy about 10 years older than me.

I was in the ‘grab the biggest club and smack the heck out of it’ group. 60-70% I would be in the fairway but my slice took yards off. When I crushed it though...pitching wedge to the green. Rest of the time I was hacking out from behind some tree and taking another 2 shots.

Ole Jim would pull out his 3 Wood, take a nice easy swing and put it 215 in the center of the fairway. 97% of the time. Then he’d pull out his 7 iron. Lay it on the green. 97% of the time.

He called it old man golf. Told me. Doesn’t matter that you hit yours farther. My second shot may be farther away, but I always know what club to hit.

So. If you have a process that gets you consistent food hot/fast or low/slow. It’s the consistency that matters. Not the speed.

Before my stick burner, I did pork butt hot and fast on a WSM. No water in the pan, run the vents wide open. When the butt hit 160 IT, pulled it and finished in the oven.

The butt I'm doing now with the stick burner at 250 to 275 for 8 or 9 hours then finish in the oven, is much better than anything I've done on the WSM.

Just my personal experience.

And if I run my Brazos in the 300 range, I'm gonna get burned meat. It cooks much better at 250. The fire is just too close to the meat. And that's probably true on most small backyard offsets.

You can do it hot and fast or low and slow.
Quality does change.
Do it the way you like it, I’ll stick with low and slow for pork for the best product

I have pellet grills so I'm in the low and slow group. I don't sit and watch it though cuz I don't have to, it runs it's self. But I like running it for hours, it makes the neighborhood smell good and my neighbor appreciates it! Plus, like others have said I have an excuse to sit and drink beer all day. Win win!
Oh, and I like all bread, including white!:razz:

Today I done a 9 lb pork butt at 375 degrees and it came out absolutely tender and super delicious. It took right around 4 hours to do a full cook. why do people waste their time staring at a cooker for 18 hours? Really think about that. Not to sound like a jerk but let's go over this one more time: why do people sit there and waste their time staring at a cooker for hours on end and getting average results? Even overnight Cooks using insulated cookers with temperature controllers fans and all that you might as well just get up early and do hot and fast and be able to monitor your Cooks versus hoping like hell something doesn't go wrong while your asleep. I also threw two baby back ribs on the cooker doing this hot and fast and was able to get awesome ribs in right over 2 hours. all this delicious food was cooked without swatting at flies and going through a case of beer just to get through the cook. To me, low and slow should be banned worldwide

#JustSayNoToLow&Slow

How old are you? Not being smart just guessing you must be younger.
I am not real old myself. Older generations take life a bit slower. They like to smell the roses.
I can understand what you are saying why waste time. We have an electric pressure cooker for during the week as we don't have time with all the time and care the kids need and work. Got to get everything from shopping to spending time together done over the weekend. No time for all day cooks.
I like both methods myself.
Sometimes you just want to slow down and take your time and relax. Drink a beer or drink a cup of coffee and just sit back and smell the smoke and just enjoy the process.
If I can get the time to cook low and slow then I do. Sometimes its nice to just kick back and relax and just slow down and actually take the time to enjoy the outdoors.
Hot and Fast though gets me more time to spend with the wife and kids. It gets the food on the table faster. I get to cram a lot of stuff in and be more productive.
Low and Slow is for slowing down and enjoying life. Hot and Fast is for getting the job done quickly and being more productive.
I like to use low and slow and I like hot and fast.

Back