Assassin 48 grill as smoker

bschoen

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Looking for a new experience (ya, a new toy). The Assassin 48 grill has me intrigued. Anyone here who has one care to chime in on their effectiveness as a smoker?

I have did KCBS comps with a couple teams that use them in 1 way or other in there competition cooking.
They are freaking awesome, well built and pretty versatile in cooking methods.

Very nice choice if you ask me.

I thought about getting one as well, but the shipping was laughable so much so I called back a day later just ta hear it again. A member here brought up that he had cooked on two both of which resulted in warped doors....could have been a very rare thing and likely is, but with that info and the obscene shipping...I crossed it from the list...That's the ugly.

All the videos I've seen on YouTube shows incredible food and extremely proud owners...That's the good.

I'm still grilling on a out of round 22" kettle...That's the bad.
I would like the LSG grill, as that ticks a lot of boxes, but it's $$$.

-D

Shipping is not an issue, Macon (Assassin's plant site) is only an hour drive from me. Which doors are we talking about? The lid of the cook chamber or the side door to access the coal and ash trays?

Shipping is not an issue, Macon (Assassin's plant site) is only an hour drive from me. Which doors are we talking about? The lid of the cook chamber or the side door to access the coal and ash trays?

I remember that post about the doors. It was the main cook chamber door. The person stated that Jeff offered to replace the doors, but the new owner refused. Seemed like Jeff would of made them right. From the post it sounded like Jeff said the issue was with an employee that no longer works there, or in other words a short time issue. it is a big wide heavy door. I could see of you had a grease fire, it could really heat up that door. Some people get an extra latch or two installed just for the cook chamber door.

I am talking about the grills, not the gravity feeds. That or I am just confused, which happens a lot...

I am talking about the grills, not the gravity feeds. That or I am just confused, which happens a lot...

I'm pretty sure it was about two 48 assassins with spring assist door.

I think it was an isolated incident, and if you are that close to the shop, I am sure Jeff would make anything right that you had issues with.

I took a look and they are beefy from a weight perspective. Not sure what the wall thickness is on the grill body. They must be 10 gauge??

From what I could see they are intended for charcoal and are not a stick burner. Is that correct?

I got a front load 48 in September. I did not get split doors. There is a bit of a learning curve for low slow. Its a big grill, so getting a big enough fire going, w/o running too hot takes some practice. I have done Beef Ribs, Chuck Roasts, Whole Turkey and everything came out great. I also got a rotisserie for it, and that has been my favorite so far. I mostly use KBB and some BB Lump.

The issue for me is trying to get the maze setup burning just hot enough to get to 250/275, but mine keeps jumping over and lighting too many coals. Definitely more work than my PBC, but for large cooks, i really like the extra space.

I got a similar setup as this.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258232

I bought a used Assassin 48 about four years ago and use it often as a smoker. Once up to temp it maintains heat very well and evenly using a charcoal maze and 1/4-inch steel plate that spans the length of the charcoal tray. I can easily get 8 hours burn time at 250 to 275.

Sometimes I just burn lump near the firebox door without spreading the coals or running a maze. This results in lower temps on the opposite end of the cook chamber but often works for me when not loading up the cooker with food.

It is a very versatile and easy to use cooker that I wouldn’t be without! I have not had any issues with the cook chamber door. The one thing I would add to make it even more versatile is a second exhaust stack opposite the fire door.

Go for it and don’t look back!

Attachments

• D635F1AB-6DDC-4DC2-B24B-D18E784C5E9C.jpg
    D635F1AB-6DDC-4DC2-B24B-D18E784C5E9C.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 258
  • 23FA1F54-9B5A-4455-8C29-F70CAF0A2D50.jpg
    23FA1F54-9B5A-4455-8C29-F70CAF0A2D50.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 258
  • BAC48FC8-161B-41BF-B990-3CA1D30E92D2.jpg
    BAC48FC8-161B-41BF-B990-3CA1D30E92D2.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 259
  • 7976281C-22FB-421C-99F2-46D50CF3243D.jpg
    7976281C-22FB-421C-99F2-46D50CF3243D.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 257
  • 72319EAA-2AFB-4D44-9E2D-266E7B3CDAA1.jpg
    72319EAA-2AFB-4D44-9E2D-266E7B3CDAA1.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 255
  • 2FDCAF64-C37A-49F8-BA69-8CCDE214CBD7.jpg
    2FDCAF64-C37A-49F8-BA69-8CCDE214CBD7.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 254
I posted about having both with the warped doors. They blamed the first one on an employee that he fired, not sure I buy it though after being told the solution is to put latches and is a normal thing on those doors. He offered to have my 36 shipped back and refund me which I should have did, but I was in between smokers and it was my only cooking device at the time so I didn’t.

Pretty sure my next “grill” will be a chud pit, the wait is just terrible at the moment. I’ll stick with the Santa Maria and 26’er for grilling right now.

I posted about having both with the warped doors. They blamed the first one on an employee that he fired, not sure I buy it though after being told the solution is to put latches and is a normal thing on those doors. He offered to have my 36 shipped back and refund me which I should have did, but I was in between smokers and it was my only cooking device at the time so I didn’t.

Pretty sure my next “grill” will be a chud pit, the wait is just terrible at the moment. I’ll stick with the Santa Maria and 26’er for grilling right now.

We’re both pits made at the same time or around the time? I really haven’t heard that this was a common issue. Especially on a 36.

We’re both pits made at the same time or around the time? I really haven’t heard that this was a common issue. Especially on a 36.

Yes, they shipped together. I got my job to buy one for us since we work 12 hour shifts we cook at work a lot. And I got one for myself.

I cooked a whole hog on mine a couple years ago. I’m sure there is a thread about here somewhere (sorry don’t remember). Anyway, they can be used as a smoker without any issues, other than learning how your cooker behaves.

Well "Chit Yeah"!

Please start a separate thread when you get it with unboxing, seasoning, first cook, etc.

A six week wait isn't too bad in today's pit market. That will get you into hints of early Spring for more pleasurable outdoor experiences in the State of Denial, wherever that is!

Looking forward fer the review and upcoming cooks. Congratulations, Bruce!

-D

Back