Thread: Moisture in UDS
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietmar239 View Post
I'm having a hard time getting the rub to set on the proteins. I run temps probably around 300+. I have one intake chimney/valve and a small chimney on the lid that runs open all the way.
For instance with ribs. Doesn't matter if I hang them or leave them on the rack it takes FOREVER for the rub to set. What I've been doing is jacking up the heat and flipping them meat-side down to force the bark to cook on but it comes with a little char. This is the case whether I spritz or not. I tend not to because of this. I don't see any moisture collecting in the bottom of the can. There's a little on the inside of the lid. I'm not sure why this is happening and would really appreciate some advice. I've asked some competitors even and they all tell me they love the can because of the good bark and skin it produces. Totally dig the flavor but the moisture is killing me.
Probably 300*?
With only one intake and one exhaust. You did not mention the size of your intake or exhaust. I'm guessing your are not steadily cooking at 300*. More like 225-250*. Sounds like you are opening the lid to raise the temp. Then choking the cooker back down by replacing the lid.
You can get a char doing just that. Why are you expecting moisture on the bottom of the drum?
Photo's would help also. More detail would help to pinpoint your problem.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->