Thread: Post Oak Wood
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #18
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
Just to throw another wrinkle at you... Depending on who you ask about "authentic" Texas BBQ wood, you might get different answers. Post oak, mesquite and pecan are all used regularly depending on availability. I actually use a combination of the three for most cooks, but use only pecan the most when I use a single wood. My advice is to cook with what is available and compare the taste with other woods that you might have shipped in for samples. I think that you will find that the meat prep and cooking method/temps are more important than the type of wood. As mentioned before, post is a subset of the white oak family. The difference is more about how it burns than how it tastes in my experience. It is harder than other whites, so it can burn longer. It can also smolder more if not burned hot enough causing an acrid flavor. Best of luck to you whichever way you go.
Absolutely. Central Texas is post oak. East central through near coastal bend you see a lot of pecan, north, west and south a lot of mesquite. In the east Texas piney woods you will see mostly hickory.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->