Best Lump Charcoal

K

KDBuchanan

Is there really a huge difference in lump charcoal?

I have been using "The Good One" but my local ACE hardware was out so I bought "Cowboy" brand.

Cowboy brand lump used to be terrible, but now it is a quality lump charcoal. It is semi dense, has a long burn, and burns hot. The pieces are all natural wood and not scrap wood pieces that you may find in other brand of bags.

It isn't as good as Wicked Good Weekend Warrior or Kamado Joe style lump, but it also isn't as expensive as them either. Wicked Good WW and Kamado Joe are significantly more dense than Cowboy and Royal Oak. This lends to much longer burn times as well as able to burn quite hot.

Cowboy brand lump used to be terrible, but now it is a quality lump charcoal. It is semi dense, has a long burn, and burns hot. The pieces are all natural wood and not scrap wood pieces that you may find in other brand of bags.

It isn't as good as Wicked Good Weekend Warrior or Kamado Joe style lump, but it also isn't as expensive as them either. Wicked Good WW and Kamado Joe are significantly more dense than Cowboy and Royal Oak. This lends to much longer burn times as well as able to burn quite hot.

My opinion too, very well put.

I am partial to Whicked Good I can go > 20 hrs on a full load in my egg I also like Humphrys

Take a look at the lump charcoal database at the Naked Whiz site...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Very good reviews and test results for a whole bunch of different brands of lump.

Thanks for the link Ron!

I tried Frontier last weekend for the first time and liked it overall. What was cool about the link you posted was how accurate the reviews seem to be.:-D

Ya'all check it out...

I sure wish nakedwhiz would have a page that listed them by order of recommendation. Maybe I'm just missing it. I would love to click on a link and see all "highly recommended" lumps.

The Frontier I tried. Nice large pieces, burn time, heat and ash were average. Paid $13.50/20#. Will try it again.

The one thing about nakedwhiz is that they aren't up to date on some things. I remember reading their cowboy lump review and it wasn't that great. But the new cowboy lump charcoal is much better than the review that was posted a few years ago.

This looks just like the Frontier above a 10 lb poke is 4.82
DSCF0074.jpg

The one thing about nakedwhiz is that they aren't up to date on some things. I remember reading their cowboy lump review and it wasn't that great. But the new cowboy lump charcoal is much better than the review that was posted a few years ago.

they have updated that review. They still dont like it very much which I dont agree with

Frontier has a mexican made charcoal as well as an american made charcoal. I haven't used the american one yet but the reviews of it were better than the mexican made one, but i have liked the mexican one. I picked up 2 33# bags at BJ's I think they were just about $30 bucks each. Some good large chunks, but on average the chunks are medium to small, but very little dust and pebble size chunks.
I tried cowboy and although many have said it has gotten better, I'm still not very impressed.

The Good One is my favorite charcoal by far. Cowboy isn't even close IMO. Search for different brands because there is a difference, but TGO is my favorite. Hopefully they will bring it back in stock.

Kroger brand lump is quite good if you live in an area served by Kroger. Royal Oak lump is also very good (at a good price point) if you are okay with shopping at Wally World. Around here, B&B available at Academy is another good brand of lump. I liked Wicked Good when I tried it earlier this year, but they were having serious supply issues in the summer, among other things.

I bought a few bags of RO lump when it went on sale a few months ago ($10 for 18lbs) and so far like it the best among what is available.

I tried a bag of Nature's Own, and it had a surprisingly few big chunks & lots of stuff so small I couldn't use it. I prefer Wicked Good and was surprised how much more dense it is than the RO I got at RD. I'll stick with the Wicked, but it is pricey!

I tried a bag of Nature's Own, and it had a surprisingly few big chunks & lots of stuff so small I couldn't use it. I prefer Wicked Good and was surprised how much more dense it is than the RO I got at RD. I'll stick with the Wicked, but it is pricey!

yes Wicked Good costs more but it lasts a lot longer, so I think its a wash more or less

I am 100% with you on this. You are actually coming out about even in money when using Wicked Good vs Royal Oak, unless you find a great sale on RO. You get more cooking time with Wicked Good than you do with RO. I had a bag of Wicked Good last almost twice as long as a bag of Royal Oak in cook time.

I say that I pay more money upfront to spend as much money as I would in back end/long run. As opposed to spending cheaper money up front but having to buy more lump to do the same amount of cooking.

Back