First Egg smoke

pigout sc

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Quick question. I finally added a Green Egg to my collection and will be cranking it up this weekend. I noticed they suggested to keep the first couple of cooks under 350 to help allow the gasket adhesive to fully cure and seal to the egg. My question is should my first couple of cooks be of short duration or can I run it for 15 hours below 350 for a brisket or butt. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks

You will be fine for brisket and pork buts for that long, my gasket lasted for about a year and a half until I did a couple of 700 degree pizza cooks. :)

You will be fine for brisket and pork buts for that long, my gasket lasted for about a year and a half until I did a couple of 700 degree pizza cooks. :)

Pizza and steak is what I am really looking forward to. I have a wsm for low and slow but am going to be patient and try to get the seal to adhere before i start the high heat. Thanks

My local dealer sells a BGE brand high heat gasket. Maybe the OP could check to see if there is a local dealer that stocks the gasket or can get it for him?

You will be good to go. Check into getting a NOMEX Gasket for a replacement, if it is the standard BGE Gasket you have, it will fail at some point and you will have burnt gasket/glue flavored Pizza or steak..

I second the Nomex gasket. The stock felt gasket is a piece of crap! I don't know why BGE hasn't made the Nomex stock issue. Somethings they do are quality and other things they do leave you scratching your head and saying "why"

I did several butt cooks with my XL this year, low N slow for over 12 hours @ 225 to 240 dome temp.
After 2-3 600 plus degree pizza cooks, it smoked the stock felt gasket.
Put a flat Rutland on, and have done well over a dozen plus pizza cooks, as well as butts, ribs, brisket galore. Gasket works like a champ.

If you have a Large or smaller, you can order the flat style rutland from Amazon, just don't use their adhesive, use High Temp Copper RTV.

If you have the XL, google Ron Pratt. He'll sell you exactly the length you need for near his cost. I've gotten 3 gaskets from him for our team. We all have XLs and one of us has the large Primo XL Oval...same length gasket.

See #5

http://www.biggreenegg.com/support/warranty/

I have rec'd the Nomex (non-adhesive) replacement gasket from BGE HQ.
Your local dealer might have it???
If you go with the Nomex, it will shrink. Throw it in a clothes dryer
for app. 20 minutes before installing.
I did get a Rutland gasket from a stove shop for my mini.
Ron Pratt (RRP) is an active member on greeneggers.com forum if you go that route. Any questions, feel free to PM me.

HTH

Do a long slow cook you will love it. I do pork butts on my egg all the time- turn out great I have lost some of my origional gasket Have not had a problem with cooking

I usually fire it up for a dry run once. Fill it with coals, light it, close it up, get it up to 350, than let it settle in around 300 till the coals die out, after that it's pretty well ready to go and you've baked out any ugly odors.

Also, i'd stay away from the wax starters, either big green egg, rutland, etc. They leave an unburnt mystery lump of material in the ash, i've heard of people complaining about off flavors/odors and even if you let it burn out entirely, there's still something left, just a thought. I use a weed burner or the electric starter to fire mine up

I'll never replace another BGE gasket, I remove mine whenever I do the high heat, pizza, steak searing cooks;

img5319j.jpg

Quick question. I finally added a Green Egg to my collection and will be cranking it up this weekend. I noticed they suggested to keep the first couple of cooks under 350 to help allow the gasket adhesive to fully cure and seal to the egg. My question is should my first couple of cooks be of short duration or can I run it for 15 hours below 350 for a brisket or butt. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks

Congratulations on you new BGE...You are going to love it, and so will the ones your cooking for...
If you feel more responsible doing short cooks to help season the egg(cure the gasket glue), by all means, fire up some ribs or a fatty a few times...But either way, long or short cooks, you should be fine...Keep the coals from raging...I think early gasket failure is random for the most part, unless you burn it with high heat cooks...I've never seasoned a Kamado type cooker or owned a BGE so what do I know?....Sorry to waste your time...Enjoy...Smoke on...

How did you do that?

I had a ring cut out of thin gauge steel. The ring is the exact ID and OD size of the bottom half of the BGE. The ring has tabs that are bent to fit the inside of the BGE and holds it into place.

Glued the Nomex gasket on each side of the ring with Permatex Heat resistant silicone.

Install and adjust the band to fit the ring thickness. Once that's all done, I simply remove the ring for high heat cooks, install it for low and slow cooks.

I also have made split rings which make it easier to ship and also thread the thermo probes between the mating gaps.

img5297n.jpg

img5294c.jpg

I had a ring cut out of thin gauge steel. The ring is the exact ID and OD size of the bottom half of the BGE. The ring has tabs that are bent to fit the inside of the BGE and holds it into place.

Glued the Nomex gasket on each side of the ring with Permatex Heat resistant silicone.

Install and adjust the band to fit the ring thickness. Once that's all done, I simply remove the ring for high heat cooks, install it for low and slow cooks.

I also have made split rings which make it easier to ship and also thread the thermo probes between the mating gaps.

img5297n.jpg

img5294c.jpg

Pretty clever!

Back