Turkey Chillin for Saturday

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Publix has those solution injected (which I find are great) turkeys on sale for $.49/lb. Well worth that cheap price. Limit was 2 so I picked up 2 today and might grab a few others over the weekend.

Going to cook one tomorrow so did a few rotations in the sink with cold water to thaw it enough to cut the spine out and will let it finish thawing over night in some seasoning.
uDFEhLxl.jpg

Hacked the spine out and saved that with the innards for gravy tomorrow
FgchFxkl.jpg

I like for my turkeys to hang out for a bit (inspired by the turkey chillin in sink meme)
FeJhOaXl.jpg

Then into the fridge for tomorrow
XCNSD7tl.jpg

So what psi should a turkey be?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nice. I’m in need of a good fridge clean out before I can let some bird chill out in the fridge. Any reason you went BGE over the drums? I’m thinking of bringing my Hunsaker clone out of semi-retirement since I found a bag of Weber coals in the garage.

So what psi should a turkey be?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This one was pretty high at like 70, which I actually don't like even though the "cool kids" can't rave enough about the "high psi" turkeys :mmph:. Can't all be winners. But I find the 20-30 range is perfect.

Nice. I’m in need of a good fridge clean out before I can let some bird chill out in the fridge. Any reason you went BGE over the drums? I’m thinking of bringing my Hunsaker clone out of semi-retirement since I found a bag of Weber coals in the garage.

Ya no reason other than it was already loaded with charcoal and i wasn't going to take 2mins to put charcoal in another cooker :becky:

What? No brine or injections? Just kidding...I’m sure it tasted as good as it looked. Picked up two birds this week from Food Dog for .27 cents/ pound, 12% solution so I may just do the creative poultry injection thing.

One of the major uses of my BGE is spatchcocking turkeys and chickens and cooking them hot and fast (375*-400*).

I use naturally processed birds (no solution), dry brine them with Harvest Brine from Naturiffic and then air dry in in the refrigerator for several hours.

Moist meat and crispy skin.

That turkey looks really good! Love the color of the skin. Doesn't look overly dark or light. Perfect color.

Back