• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Comp Secret is out

I recently purchased 2) 5 lb bags of Apple rub from BPS.

I did not want to try or change the rub on my customers because I believe in absolute consistency in our food products.

However my son is going into the military and we had planned a surprise party to congratulate him on his choices in life and wish him well as he departs us to serve his country. I used the Apple Rub on the ribs and on the pork butts.

Simply Marvelous hit the ball out of the park with the apple rub and now I am thinking of trying some of his other rubs at my grand-daughters birthday party to see what other surprises may be hiding in the other rub products.

At first I was not crazy with the idea of trying a new rub, I was wrong, it was a big hit and I will have to try to contemplate a phase and/or maybe a possible change into a transition to another rub. I will try some of the other rubs before I make a choice so that I can choose the best but that suits my needs.

My hats off to "Simply Marvelous" with a GREAT product, I'm sorry I didn't try it sooner when you used to have the special 2) 5lb combo or the holiday specials and you used to have. I was tempted, but never pulled the trigger, clearly it was my loss.

In the end I credit "Big Poppa Smokers" with his free shipping. That was the final temptation to make it easy for me to try this product. I am anxious to try another of the "SIMPLY MARVELOUS" rubs to see what flavors come through in the new rub.

Anyone wish to suggest what I should try next?

I am glad you are enjoying our Spicy Apple. I am biased of course and like all of them. Each rub brings a little something different to the table.

Thanks for the review,
Steph

Last edited:
I am glad you are enjoying our Spicy Apple. I am biased of course and like all of them. Each rub brings a little something different to the table.

Thanks for the review,
Steph

Sorry it wasn't a review, just the facts.

It has been a almost a week since I used the rub and I am still excited about the flavor it imparts. I look for excuses everyday to cook on the grill or in the smoker just so I can use more of the rub.

Anyone wish to suggest what I should try next?

Hi, my name is Rose and I'm a SMaholic. That being said, I use Steph's rubs exclusively so I have them all. With Steph's advice and my own experimentation, what works best for me is layering. For example, when cooking spares, the first layer is Spicy Apple, 2nd Cherry, and 3rd a touch of Sweet Seduction. If I'm wrapping, I'll hit the ribs with apple cider vinegar/apple juice spray and then sprinkle a bit more Sweet Seduction. Needless to say I haven't sauced my ribs since I began using this technique.

But I haven't really answered your question, have I? If you are able, get the SM rub pack which contains all 7 rubs. Decide which you like best and then buy the 5 lbs. bag, you won't regret it.

Im right there with you all. I use to make all my own dry rubs..and I THOUGHT to be a good pitmaster, you had to have your own "special" rub...HOWEVER, since I've found Simply Marvelous (about 2 years ago now) I ONLY use their rubs whether in competition or just for family gatherings. I always by the Sweet Seducation and Cherry. Sweet Seduction is "da freakin bomb" and I have sold many of my friends on the rub as well. They love it on not only smoked stuff that I do, but they sprinkle it on their grilled steaks, chicken, etc.

So I say GREAT job S.M and we LOVE your products!!!

Back