Need some help with bbq sauce

dad2jsc

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a friends mom that makes a bbq sauce that I really like. These people are super nice. She keeps the recipe to herself though.:mad: She has gave me some of her sauce to take home the last time I saw her. What is the best way if any to figure out what is in this sauce. I can post some pics of it if you think it will help.

It would be hard to match it exactly start off with the base flavor. Is it ketchup/tomato or mustard or vinegar based sauce. Then do small tastes looking for other flavors, like onion, cayenne, etc. Next time snoop around the kitchen and see what is on hand.

It probably took her or someone very close to her (father, mother, etc.) years to develop that recipe, that's why it's well guarded. Respect that and ask her to buy some and enjoy it.

If she plays it that close to the vest, you won't get her recipe. But, it's possible to create a recipe that you like just as much. Go to the big recipe websites and check out the barbecue sauce recipes with the most number of high ratings and start off there. Most sauces have ingredients in common, then tweak yours to suit your palate.

If she plays it that close to the vest, you won't get her recipe. But, it's possible to create a recipe that you like just as much. Go to the big recipe websites and check out the barbecue sauce recipes with the most number of high ratings and start off there. Most sauces have ingredients in common, then tweak yours to suit your palate.

This is good advice. If you want to make it your own, read all the recipes for the style of sauce you can find. There will be many similarities, but find some ingredients that stand out and pay attention to the ratios and just make one up on your own.

Thanks for the replys and good advice, I think I can come up with a sauce similar. At least this way I can its homemade and I made it myself.:grin:

Thanks for the replys and good advice, I think I can come up with a sauce similar. At least this way I can its homemade and I made it myself.:grin:

An easy way out:
1 cup KC Masterpiece Original BBQ Sauce
3 tablespoons honey
1/2 tablespoon liquid smoke

What do you like best about it, what kind of meat do you use it on. Beef, Pork, Chicken?

Also what part of the country is the woman who you got the sauce from? I'm asking because there are different styles that are more prevalent in different parts of the country.

I like the sauce because it is fairly thick, sweet, hint of vinegar and I use it on pork. It has a sweet baby ray color to it. We are from Iowa.

I like the sauce because it is fairly thick, sweet, hint of vinegar and I use it on pork. It has a sweet baby ray color to it. We are from Iowa.

If it's not that far off in taste profile from SBR's then I'd simply get some SBR's and doctor it some to try and get as close as I could.

Here is a good webpage with basic sauces by region.

http://vespawoolf.hubpages.com/hub/ribsrecipe

My advice would be to start with the Kansas city one, then side by side taste test it to figure out what you need to add or subtract.

When I am trying to replicate something, I like to pull out about a fourth of a cup of the undoctored sauce and add a little bit of the flavorings to make sure I am on the right track. I've often over seasoned a sauce then ruined it by adding too many ingredients to correct for two much sweetness or heat.

I'm a big fan of apple cider vinegar in sauces, make sure it is real apple cider vinegar, the cheap brands are vinegar with apple cider added in (found out the hard way, it was way too strong in vinegar taste). I don't think you can get better apple cider vinegar than Bragg apple cider vinegar. Sometimes it's in the organic or health food section of regular stores and not with the regular vinegar.

For adding heat without changing the flavor add cayenne (ground red pepper) for adding smokiness and heat add chipotle powder (I like Penzeys) there is also a smoked parprika that is very nice but I am not a fan of too much paprika flavor.

The idea to modify SBR is a good one, just make sure to simmer the sauce with the new ingredients to really develop the flavors.

Personally I like brown sugar more for sweetness than molasses, it's just easier to work with and the molasses can overtake a sauce very quickly.

Good luck and post us your final recipe!

Back