Bacon #2

seadad9903

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Second try at bacon. Did not use nitrates or nitrites, just a simple sugar/salt cure and hot smoked.

The cure. 1/2 cup sugar (light brown this time) & 1/2 cup kosher salt per pound of belly. Mixed some dry rub in for added flavoring.
main.php

Fat side scored, bellies rubbed and vacuum sealed
main.php

main.php

After 2 weeks in the fridge did a soak out for 12 hours, changing the water 4 times. Halved each belly, stood in a rib rack overnight in the fridge.
main.php

main.php

On the smoker, halfway through & all the way done. I cooked them to about 140 IT and let them rest until cool.
main.php

main.php

main.php

Didn't need to freeze before slicing, just pulled out my food slicer and went to town! Before, during and after cooking.
main.php

main.php

main.php

I didn't use Tenderquick or Instacure or cure #1 for a couple of reasons. I haven't bought bacon cured with that in a couple of years (The Woman read an article that convinced her cures were evil), since I was hot smoking the bacon would keep longer anyway and lastly i didn't have any of the aforementioned cures in the house. any-hoo, everything turned out good and I have 4 lbs of bacon in the freezer and whats left of a pound in the fridge.

That looks fantastic,:eusa_clap so...when my new smoker arrives 1) Butt 2) Ribs 3) Chuckie 4) Brisket and now 5) make my own FREAKIN BACON!!:biggrin1:

Does life get any better than being able to make your own bacon?:icon_smile_tongue:

That looks fantastic,:eusa_clap so...when my new smoker arrives 1) Butt 2) Ribs 3) Chuckie 4) Brisket and now 5) make my own FREAKIN BACON!!:biggrin1:

Does life get any better than being able to make your own bacon?:icon_smile_tongue:

making your own bacon AND your own beer!

Looking good, How did it taste?

like chicken :heh:

tasted like bacon. different than store bought or what you get at a restaurant, but it's still bacon. i have some TQ and cure #1, so next time i'll use one of those and see if i can tell a difference.

I love home made bacon. Nitrite when added appropriately seems to have no (to my taste) effect on flavour. It does improve keeping (safety) and colour.
John

Great looking bacon. Where did you score the pork belly at in Va beach? I have checked kroger, food lion, harris teeter, farm fresh and restaurant depot and I haven't been able to find any.

Great looking bacon!

aawa, hookedonq: I'm able to find belly at a couple butchers up here in the DC area. No butchers near you guys?

I love home made bacon. Nitrite when added appropriately seems to have no (to my taste) effect on flavour. It does improve keeping (safety) and colour.
John

That's the conclusion I have had for a while. And with 5 bacon lovers in the house 1 pound is one meal :shocked:

Great looking bacon. Where did you score the pork belly at in Va beach? I have checked kroger, food lion, harris teeter, farm fresh and restaurant depot and I haven't been able to find any.

These came from the Whole Foods over by First Colonial across from Trader Joe's. I've also found some at Central Meats and the butcher over at the Farmer's Market, but they only have them occasionally (although you could have them order them). Whole Foods is the only consistent place, plus they cut the skin off.

Man that looks amazing! Where did u find your porkbelly? Im near richmond va and havent had much luck locating any up my way

Your best bet other than Whole Foods (don't know if they are up there) is to find a butcher that has them. I know of a couple of places that have them, but they are in South Hill or off of US 58, really far from you.

Back