HnF no foil ribs are pretty nice!

TIMMAY

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Had a craving for ribs this weekend, I think its been at least a year and a half since I cooked ribs last. Used the 321 method, and they were decent... Anyhoo decided I wanted to cook em till they weeped that pig honey (Thanks for the inspirational vid Pitmaster T...)!

Cooked one rack of spares, untrimmed, membrane removed, rubbed with yardbird @ 290-300 indirect on the kettle with a few chunks of cherry. Bark did not get too dark, and still held together after resting in foil for an hour and a half (dinner timeline didn't come together like I wanted). Although the ribs were tender, I think I couldve left em on the kettle for another 30 min or so. They were still a little greasy. Sorry no pron... It started pouring rain as I took the ribs off the heat. However, I feel confident to cook those ribs again same way with no fear of dry ribs. And I could trim em up a little too.

I did the bend test. They went close to 90, but I was afraid of overcooking them. But now I know to trust the bend test more.

Yep same here:mrgreen: I also use a toothpick to check them to see if they are done.

I too have pulled them early, thinking i would over cook them, they had a nice bite mark, but not bone clean tho oh well try try again:mrgreen:

Hi TIMMAY, I've been curious to try true HnF ribs w/o foil but my only concern is getting enough smoke flavor into them given that meat absorbs less smoke as it heats. I've done cooks where I run fairly low for the first 2-3 hrs and then wrap and crank up the heat til tender. I also cook on a kettle w/ Cherry. How did yours turn out as far as smoke flavor? One other question, lump or briqs?

Thanks,

Used blue K for charcoal. I am in a slightly different situation than you. Others in the house dislike a deep smoke flavor so I have to tread lightly with wood, I only used two chunks at the beginning of the cook. However I had thin blue before the kettle came up to temp so in actuality they went on at 210 and ramped up to 290 over maybe 25 min. I would say the smoke flavor was balanced, neither too weak nor too strong.

Back