Treager verses Mak?

Welcome to the MAK family, brutha! :)

What accessories did you go with?

Thanks!

Ordered with wifi, and stainless steel door for now.

Talking to Mak he said cook with it for a bit, then add things as you need it. Their prices include shipping.

I absolutely love my 2* and I’d bet the rent money that you will too. Picking up accessories as you go is wise. I will also bet that you’ll end up with sear grates and the shelf.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Talked to Mak this morning, super nice people. Answered all my questions and then some.

This afternoon I ordered the Two Star General. Now the wait begins!

Thank you everyone who has posted in the past that allowed to search the archive and those who posted here.

Happy to hear!

I read yer OP and came in this thread to tell you yer comparing apples ta bananas, but I see there’s no point now...

Yer gonna LOVE IT!

Thanks!

Ordered with wifi, and stainless steel door for now.

Talking to Mak he said cook with it for a bit, then add things as you need it. Their prices include shipping.

Two fantastic options! The others that I would highly recommend would be the cover and a full upper grate. There are definitely other options that I find myself using quite often… but those two are a must, IMO.

Two fantastic options! The others that I would highly recommend would be the cover and a full upper grate. There are definitely other options that I find myself using quite often… but those two are a must, IMO.

Robb's right on target here. Most, if not all of the time, I put a foil-lined sheet pan on the bottom rack. And cook on the next rack up (~2"). Seems to work great and keeps the clean up to a real minimum. The vertical racks on the 2* make it cook way bigger than its size would indicate.

YMMV.

Congrats on the 2*. I just got mine a week ago and am loving it so far. I got WiFi, full upper grate and a cover. I’ll eventually be getting the front door and more grates.

It comes standard with a second grate now, and you can pick what size. 1/2,3/4, full. I chose the full hoping I can do exactly what you described.

It will live in the garage, wife says I don't need a cover because I always forget to cover the gasser... :p

Happy to hear!

I read yer OP and came in this thread to tell you yer comparing apples ta bananas, but I see there’s no point now...

Yer gonna LOVE IT!

Thanks Jeremy, it didn't take long to learn there is a ton of difference between the two!

It comes standard with a second grate now, and you can pick what size. 1/2,3/4, full. I chose the full hoping I can do exactly what you described.

It will live in the garage, wife says I don't need a cover because I always forget to cover the gasser... :p

Oh that’s right! Sounds like you are good to go “for now“ :)

Get the Yoder!! I wanted a Yoder and opted for the MAK and what a fatal mistake. Had issues from day 1. They expect me to keep trouble shooting the grill. They were great to deal with and helped through some issues, but I guess it is acceptable to keep having me research what is wrong with it. Live and learn.

Nelson's website is out of date. Here's what his current smallest unit looks like. Advantages over Yoder include ash clean out door (I love this!), a way to use a water pan under the drip tray, and all-welded construction instead of spot welds and goo.

Steel is twice as thick as MAK but coated only in high temp paint not hot dipped and powder coated. Pros and cons to both approaches.

Wow that is pretty cool. I never heard of this one. How does it do holding temps?

Wow that is pretty cool. I never heard of this one. How does it do holding temps?
It lets the temp swing a bit, but that doesn't seem to hurt at all. Might even help. Food sure comes out good.

It lets the temp swing a bit, but that doesn't seem to hurt at all. Might even help. Food sure comes out good.
Nice, congrats!! I will have to look into that one. I gotta do my homework really good this time so I don’t get burned again. I really want the Lonestar but I have a feeling it is going to be some time before they call my number.

I chose the full and then ordered the half since it was cheapest. Got a cover, wifi and rib rack also.

So wait, Rebel Smokers became Assassin smokers? TIL

Congrats on your new smoker choice.

C & C manufacturing (same ownership as Assassin Smokers) made gravity fed smokers for Rebel and Superior. I am not sure exactly how it all played out, but Superior and Rebel are no longer in business. There were slight differences between them all, but pretty close overall.

Last edited:
Talked to Mak this morning, super nice people. Answered all my questions and then some.

This afternoon I ordered the Two Star General. Now the wait begins!

Thank you everyone who has posted in the past that allowed to search the archive and those who posted here.

Congrats on the new Mak.

Back