• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

cupcake chicken

I think it was a great idea until myron let it be known. I am not sure about the whole ball of chicken look, but for uniformity, it is a great concept. I would look for another shape beside round.

I use heart shaped cupcake pans.... Judges love the new shape. I am experimenting with bundt cake pans now.

But how big do the boxes need to be to fit 6 of these in there??? :-D

BundtPanRoastChicken_01_mini.jpg

To everybody that does not like cupcake chicken, BITE ME! :blah:

To the original post, I have scored straight 9's for appearance with my cupcake product, but for the most part, the taste and tenderness got me. Comments from judges when I got them were: Too dry; burnt bottoms; etc...

I still say that everyone that has their own little preconceived notion that cupcake chicken is crap, I have yet to see any chicken as a judge, or from what others show us at comps that look even remotely close to a thigh.

Since when is a thigh SQUARE???? Since when does a thigh look like a HOT DOG IN A BUN????

I am still looking for those chickens in the stores.

Just goes to show that the judges that have this idea of "cupcake chicken aint good" should NOT be judges.

Please spare me. I do not like thighs to begin with. So, I guess when I judge I should go into the event with the idea that any thighs will get a low score.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be true to what the event is about.

:wacko:

wallace

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VFWWWU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Freshware 12-Cavity Silicone Petite Loaf Pan: Kitchen & Dining: Amazon.com[/ame]

maybe this will interest you!

Naw, too rectangle shape. Doesn't look like thighs........

But I must say, a lot of stuff that people turn in looks like it came from those type molds/pans.

Still, same concept as round molds/pans. No difference.

I am not trying to buck the system, it just pisses me off when people go into a competition as a judge with the idea of, "I am going to hate something or give a low score based on my own personal opinion." Those folks can get the heck out of the judging part.

wallace

But I must say, a lot of stuff that people turn in looks like it came from those type molds/pans.

I am not trying to buck the system, it just pisses me off when people go into a competition as a judge with the idea of, "I am going to hate something or give a low score based on my own personal opinion." Those folks can get the heck out of the judging part.

wallace

Fair enough. HOWEVER, I would never sacrifice taste or tenderness for appearance. 1 point in taste counts for how many in appearance?

Also, if you turn in chicken balls, they better look good, if they do not.... what have you accomplished.

wallace

WAIT! your saying chicken that looks more like balls than rectangular shaped :wacko:

Fair enough. HOWEVER, I would never sacrifice taste or tenderness for appearance. 1 point in taste counts for how many in appearance?

Also, if you turn in chicken balls, they better look good, if they do not.... what have you accomplished.

Agreed, 100%!

WAIT! your saying chicken that looks more like balls than rectangular shaped :wacko:

No, not in any way shape or form (pun intended). :wink:

But to go into a contest as a judge and have the mindset that chicken balls will get a low score, again, I call BS!

I guess my main point of contention is that people (some judges) are actually saying out loud that they will not score cupcake chicken well. Again, that's bologna!!!!

What is the difference of a judge going into a competition with the thought of a product that is sweet will get a low score?

Damn-if-I-know.....

LONG LIVE THE CUPCAKE CHICKEN! :boxing:

wallace

wallace

Get used to it - there is a huge prejudice against muffin pan chicken in the east. It is right? No, Is it there? Yes.

Get used to it - there is a huge prejudice against muffin pan chicken in the east. It is right? No, Is it there? Yes.

Yea, yea, yea, I know. Just making a point (over and over) about the judging and prejudice for items.

Now, in anther thread, someone actually cooked "thighs" and they LOOK like thighs. If the glaze was a little better, I'd say that is some of the best looking and tasteful looking chicken I have seen (the cleaned up version)!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169566

wallace

I have no real issue with the shape of cupcake chicken. My main issue is that a lot of the cupcake chicken or chicken cooked in any other shaped container for that matter, is usually cooked in a lot of butter. To me, that becomes braised chicken not bbq chicken.

I have scored straight 9's for appearance with my cupcake product, but for the most part, the taste and tenderness got me. Comments from judges when I got them were: Too dry; burnt bottoms; etc...

I still say that everyone that has their own little preconceived notion that cupcake chicken is crap

Straight 9s refute the notion of any innate prejudice against the product. Poor taste and tenderness scores, comments about dry or burned, well, that's on you.

Straight 9s refute the notion of any innate prejudice against the product. Poor taste and tenderness scores, comments about dry or burned, well, that's on you.

Could not agree more! I am replying about others that have said cupcake will get a low score if it hits their table. Heck, our first comp we landed 9th in chicken. Lately, we even got a 9th again in chicken.

My bitch is about judges going into a comp with a mindset of something they like, or dislike. Whether that be "no burnt ends gets a low score", "only 6 ribs gets a low score", etc, etc, etc....

Just doesn't seem to be the place for that.

I'm done; off the soap box on this.

wallace

Could not agree more! I am replying about others that have said cupcake will get a low score if it hits their table. Heck, our first comp we landed 9th in chicken. Lately, we even got a 9th again in chicken.

My bitch is about judges going into a comp with a mindset of something they like, or dislike. Whether that be "no burnt ends gets a low score", "only 6 ribs gets a low score", etc, etc, etc....

Just doesn't seem to be the place for that.

I'm done; off the soap box on this.

wallace

Agree. Agree. Agree. We do both cupcake and trapizoid/rectangle. Got 1st place last year in chicken at the Sam Club in NJ using cupcake. Bombed this year (22nd) (picture attached) at Sams Club Comp going "natural". Same flavor profile, tenderness, ect.

Attachments

• 1174536_206086142884644_1783465475_n.jpg
    1174536_206086142884644_1783465475_n.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 174
Agree. Agree. Agree. We do both cupcake and trapizoid/rectangle. Got 1st place last year in chicken at the Sam Club in NJ using cupcake. Bombed this year (22nd) (picture attached) at Sams Club Comp going "natural". Same flavor profile, tenderness, ect.

Just curious, if you don't mind sharing, what were your Appearance scores for this box?
IMHO, I think the box might look better with only 6 thighs, without the overlap. Still it looks dad-gum good to me!

Just curious, if you don't mind sharing, what were your Appearance scores for this box?
IMHO, I think the box might look better with only 6 thighs, without the overlap. Still it looks dad-gum good to me!

Those are wings on the side. Thighs in the middle.

Back