• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Best chili powder? Opinions please

For those of you familiar with it, what I'd like to get close to is either Charlie's Ale House chili from Chicago or Longhorn Steakhouse's. Both no beans, both delicious. Charlie's is more flavorful and has lots of peppers in it, but Longhorn's is the best commercial basic chili I know of. More meaty than tomatoey.

Just noticed this, thought you were looking for a chili powder. Try some Bad Attitude Chili been making it for years, everyone loves it. Although until recently I never found Hatch chiles, so I've always used a combination of fresh chiles, ranging from mild to hot to get as much chile flavor in as possible. I usually add a couple of each, cubanelles, anaheims, long hots, jalapenos, habaneros, poblanos, etc... Adjust the peppers and quantity to your heat level, I like enough heat so you know it's chili, but not so much that you can't finish a bowl without having to stop to cool off.

Weather supposed to suck tomorrow. I may venture out and buy some dried chiles and do the quick toast and grind. Besides, there’s not much better entertainment than a pre blizzard grocery store.

So “End cap” pepper Question. Off memory it seems the dried Chile bags have guessing 15-20 dried peppers???

Question: How many of those stemmed seeded flash dried and ground peppers does it take to get two tablespoons of chili powder?

I’ve got Mexican Oregeno and Cumin.

It would depend on the dried chiles, dried poblanos have a lot more flesh than dried cascabells. If you have a standard blade style coffee grinder, deseed and then tear up the dried peppers and stuff as much will fit into the grinder, don't be afraid to squash them down. A full grinders worth will certainly give you two tablespoons.

Thanks!! I found this online

https://www.garlicandzest.com/hearty-homestyle-chili-con-carne/

They make a paste from the dried chili. I may try this using a Pueblo or Hatch green chile instead of adobo. I struggle following a recipe. I have adobo sauce in the pantry.

My mind tells me to follow directions

My heart screams MSU and enjoy.

If you've never tried before, make your own Chili Powder. In Texas we have access to dried Chili peppers everywhere, but for those of you in other areas, these days it's easy to order dry peppers off of Amazon.

Start out with common dried peppers like Ancho, Guajillo, Anaheim, and Arbol. (Make your own ratio based on the heat level you enjoy) Get a big bowl, sit in front of the TV, and start breaking them in half to remove the seeds and stems. Toast the flesh on a sheet pan in a 400 degree oven for about twenty seconds, or when the edges start to curl. You can also toast them in a heavy skillet but be careful as they burn easily, and if that happens they will taste bitter. Cool for a few minutes and grind in an electric coffee grinder (I have one reserved just for spices).

The depth of flavor you get from grinding your own powder is incomparable to store bought spices. People will all want to know the secret to your awesome chili. It takes longer to make your own chili powder, but no comparison as far as flavor is concerned.

I have tried that a couple times and really didn't like the results. Over toasted. If I use dried chilis I prefer to rehydrate and blend.

I’ve got multiple Williams-No Salt Added in the pantry. May need to get more :))

I'm another fan of Pendery's.

Also like to cut the stem end off of a few fresh peppers (prefer serranos or jalapenos) and float them on the top of the chili while cookin'.

Mexene is my go to. Of course, I'll now be on the lookout for several of the other ones mentioned.

Oakridge sells several chili powders in their bulk spices section. Based upon the quality of their rubs, I’d be willing to bet their chili powders would be great, too. I haven’t tried them yet though.

Back