Hot 'n Fast Mayo Slathered Oakridge Secret Weapon Chicken Experiment

Oh, man... I'd really love some of that right now. Looks killer!

Kudos to momma on those 'taters, too!

Great post Moose and the Chicken looks delicious.
I have only had Chicken Grilled, not smoked. Guess I need to try some smoke
try using Yoghurt the same way and tell me what you think:thumb:

Awesome looking chicken! Secret weapons a house hold favourite here too. I had to start buying the 5 lb bags we go thru so much! I'm going to have to give the mayo a try next chicken cook.

Fine job Moose. Count me in as one who is going to try this soon. Pretty sure BluDawg was the first one I saw slather chicken with mayo before smoking? It obviously appears to work very well.

Greek yogurt is what I use and it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Works for me.

feo146w.jpg

Last edited:

Greek yogurt is what I use and it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always use yogurt when I make tandoori chicken, and it's fine, though the whole purpose of using mayo is the high fat content. The fat seems to attract heat to the chicken which in turn, helps render the fat more quickly and effectively. I also had a few small grease fires in my drum towards the end of the cook...

My grandmother started grilling chicken with mayo back in the 50's based on a recipe from the local gas company and it has been a favorite since. Better then Cornell Chicken any day, but for some reason it lingers in the background and never gets the recognition it deserves.

Try adding a little acid to the mayo. The base formula I use is 1 cup mayo, 1/4 cup ketchup, and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Season to taste, and that can mean salt and pepper or a full blown rub as moose did, or anything in between that does not have much sugar. You can also substitute lime for the lemon or leave out the ketchup and replace with another acid/color source depending on the flavor profile you are after.

It is actually much of the same acid + oil + salt theory behind Cornell chicken and so many other recipes but with mayo as the source of oil.

My grandmother started grilling chicken with mayo back in the 50's based on a recipe from the local gas company and it has been a favorite since. Better then Cornell Chicken any day, but for some reason it lingers in the background and never gets the recognition it deserves.

Try adding a little acid to the mayo. The base formula I use is 1 cup mayo, 1/4 cup ketchup, and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Season to taste, and that can mean salt and pepper or a full blown rub as moose did, or anything in between that does not have much sugar. You can also substitute lime for the lemon or leave out the ketchup and replace with another acid/color source depending on the flavor profile you are after.

It is actually much of the same acid + oil + salt theory behind Cornell chicken and so many other recipes but with mayo as the source of oil.

Fine....what does the lemon (acid) do????

Gorgeous looking chicken.

I became a mayo cult member yesterday afternoon.

Works great.

Next time, I'm mixing the rub in with the mayo that coats the yardbird. Great method you used.

Personally, I wouldn't say that the mayo slathered bird (At least the way I prepped it) was better than cornell or Roadside chicken, but it was certainly equal. They are just two entirely different flavor profiles, especially using the Oakridge Secret Weapon rub the way I did.

As to the acid you mentioned in your version, one could also substitute apple cider vinegar for lemon or lime juice with good results, I would think.

Back