Thread: The Addiction
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2021, 10:01 AM   #9
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeRingsMatter View Post
I guess i just don't live in the right area to understand what all the fuss is about with these peppers.

It may just be a regional thing, but the popularity seems to be expanding each year. Not sure you have them available to you in your area but they can be ordered online. I used to work with a guy that had a bag of Sandia, a bag of Barkers and a bag of Pueblo shipped to him each August and he would bring me a ziploc sandwhich bag of each. There is something about the flavor of the roasted peppers that I like. Other folks, not so much. I have heard of people roasting Pablano as a substitute to the Hatch peppers. Roast the peppers on a hot grill until the skin blisters and starts turning brown to black. Remove and set in a Ziploc bag or brown paper sack. Then remove skin and use in recipe. Can be frozen.

Check out this recipe that Andy posted last year. I find this to be a good recipe.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...light=sloppers

Here is a recipe I used from a website I found but cannot remember. I used the cubed pork instead of the ground.

Pueblo Sloppers
Makes 4 burgers, with 2 quarts of fiery chili
For the chili:
  • 1 lb. roasted green chiles
  • 1 lb. ground pork or pork shoulder meat cubed into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 6 fat cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 2 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. ground coriander
  • 1 can crushed tomatoes ( i used Rotel)
  • 1 quart chicken or pork stock
For the burgers:
  • 4 large burger buns, or a hefty bread, like kaiser rolls
  • 4 burger patties, 6-8 oz. each
  • Shredded cheddar cheese, for serving
  • Diced white onions, for serving
  • Chopped cilantro, for serving
Preheat the broiler to high; rub the chiles all over with a bit of oil, then place in a pan and broil for 20 minutes, flipping with tongs halfway, until the skins are blackened. Put the chiles in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap; set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes. Remove the stems, seeds, and blackened skins—if the skins don’t come off, don’t worry about it, and if you like your chili brutally spicy, leave the seeds. Use a food processor or blender to puree the chiles with a cup of the chicken stock.
Coat the bottom of a Dutch oven with a little oil and place over high heat. When the oil begins to smoke, add the ground pork and begin breaking it up with a wooden spoon into small pieces. Spread the pork across the bottom of the pan and allow to cook undisturbed for 3 minutes so it can properly brown, then give it a stir and continue cooking until fully brown. Add the onions and garlic with a big pinch of salt and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until soft—if anything begins to stick to the bottom of the pot, deglaze with with a little bit of the chicken stock. Add the oregano, cumin, and coriander and cook for a minute to toast, then add the tomatoes, pureed chilis, and the rest of the stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, for one hour. At this point taste the chili for seasoning, add salt/pepper/spices as desired*, and continue simmering as you make the burgers.
Preheat your grill over high heat. Split the buns in half and toast; place in the bottoms of four bowls and sprinkle with a little cheese. Season the burgers on both sides with a little salt and pepper and grill to your liking. Put the burgers on the buns, top with chili and white onions, then more cheese and chopped cilantro. Serve with extra chili on the side, and a big glass of milk.
*If the chili is too spicy for your tastes, right before serving, mix your portion with a few spoonfuls of sour cream before pouring all over your burger. The compound that causes heat in chile peppers, capsaicin, is fat-soluble, and will bind to the fat in sour cream, keeping it from sticking to your tongue and burning your face off.

I also used Cheese Jalapeno burger patties that Sam's Club was carrying last summer. They no longer have them this summer.

Thanks,

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->