FFA show hog bacon

Muscrat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I was given some FFA show hog bacon. When cooked there is a slight fishy smell.

But the fat is super white and the grease is like silky smooth. Not sure what to think. Bacon seemed to taste pretty and I’m saving the fat for later.

Has anyone had any experience with this. Curious if it’s normal. I was also given some 1-1/4 thick steaks from the same hog.

Attachments

• 707350AB-B556-4560-BA3D-1018A22F85B6.jpg
    707350AB-B556-4560-BA3D-1018A22F85B6.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 176
I put up one or two FFA hogs every year and never had that fishy smell. Sounds like who ever cured it and if it was smoked might have smoked fish in the same smoker. The pig also could have fed the fish meal while they were raising it.

Probably feed related. From the way you described the fat, that hog had a diet well above average for its species.

I can tell corn and grass fed beef by fat color due to the diet as well. If you feed your hens a lot of red and yellow bell peppers, you get some really unusual eggs (white shells with bright yellow, orange or, red tinted yolks and whites).

Your bacon does have some color, but just to confirm.... you didn't get side pork did you? It often has a different smell after cooking.

Assuming it is bacon, breed and feed have a lot to do with it, but the curing technique is also a factor because small processors are not always the best when it comes to makin' bacon (or sausage either for that matter). And since bacon takes some time to do right.... you might not have gotten bacon from the same hog that was processed. If you can't detect a smokey scent when it's raw, maybe the processor doesn't even have a smokehouse. They probably use the injection/immersion method for curing, but could have added liquid smoke and simply used an oven to get the bacon to 130°.

Last edited:
It's not normal, and could be a number of things. The feed, curing and smoking process come to mind first...as already mentioned.
I'd be curious as to whether the pork steaks are off flavored too...

Back