Differences in Kamado Construction?

azkeith

Reaction score
So we moved into a new home with a really small yard and I won’t be able to have the same size outdoor cooking area. Currently we have a TEC infrared grill, a MAK pellet grill and an Mgrills M1. I’m trying to find one cooker that would be a good compromise and I’m leaning toward a kamado cooker. That said, I’m a little confused about the different materials now being used. Most traditional kamado cookers are ceramic but now there are cast iron, aluminum and steel cookers. Are these different material cookers functionally different, or is it more of a marketing novelty? Wouldn’t a solid aluminum or cast iron cooker radiate a lot of heat, and burn through more lump? I can imagine that an insulated steel cooker like the Caliber might be super efficient at retaining heat and thus use less lump, but you’d have to cook forever to make up for the high cost.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I had the Akorn Kamado which I think was double walled aluminum with oven-grade insulation inside the wall. It was a great little cooker and I loved it...heat retention was nice, but sitting outside baking in the sun really made the outside hot to the touch.

I also had a Grilla Grills Kong full-ceramic kamado and loved it was well. The big difference, for me, is that the ceramic cookers are brittle and if they get tipped over then they are generally going to be destroyed. They are also extremely heavy which makes it tough to move them around or travel with them. I would have loved to have taken my kamado with me to a few competitions but loading / unloading it by myself was out of the question, and I was always so concerned about how the rattling from travel could cause it to shatter.

The steel / cast iron cookers are basically going to be "legacy" type cookers where they will last damned near forever. They are also much lighter than the ceramic cookers, so the longevity is there and the mobility is there as well.

Truth be told I don't recall my ceramic cooker cooking any differently than my aluminum cooker. Both would hold temps extremely well, and for all intents and purposes they functioned almost exactly the same.

My aluminum kamado rusted out after a few years of neglect on my part and I tossed it. I had my ceramic cooker for about 2 years and sold it since I almost never used it (I'm a stickburner at heart), but it was still in great shape after a ton of cooks on it.

If I were going to buy another kamado it would absolutely be a steel version. Ceramics are pretty but they are a pain in the butt to move around, and I always worried about them breaking. For what it's worth when my first ceramic cooker arrived at my door it was completely shattered in the box. So it was a 2 week wait and then I had to wait a week for it to get picked back up, and then another 2 weeks to get my replacement. Ever since I've just been really nervous about the longevity of ceramic cookers.

Not sure how small you need to go, but my initial thought is that you already have the perfect compromise in the MAK. I have a 22" ceramic Vision Kamado, a couple of pellets and a handful of charcoal grills and bullets. The only gasser I have these days is my Blackstone. The MAX is about as good as you will get regarding grilling on a pellet, but heck a cheap Jumbo Joe that you stash away for occasional use is enough to satisfy that IMO. If I needed to downsize, that would be my choice, and you already have one.

I'd be worried about using a cast iron grill and cracking. Especially when searing.

Tin you will need to worry about eventual rust and eventual burn out of it .

Ceramic will crack. That's where the warranty come's into play. The main reason why I bought my BGE was the lifetime warranty. I could essentially have a grill for 50 years and never have to worry about it. I know some people who've had their eggs for 20+ years and leave them out in rain, snow, and sun. 365 days a year. No worries when you have a lifetime warranty. They're good to go.

Ceramic also retains heat. Saving on lump. With good lump you can get a large BGE to go 20+ hours at 250 degrees without worrying about fuel consumption.

I was almost in your exact position 2 years ago. Had 3 Kamado Joes, an M1, a Weber Genesis and a MAK 1 Star. Had plenty of room for that cooking arsenal... and then we bought a new home, and like you my cooking area shrunk. Having had the kamados for a number of years prior to that move, there was a good stretch of time that I was pretty much a kamado nut! That said, on a whim back in 2016, I bought a 1st gen MAK 1 Star from a buddy of mine. Had no idea how much I’d come to love pellet cooking. Fast forward back to our 2017 move and I decided to sell every cooker I had and consolidate down to one. Long story short, after much thought, consideration and conversation, I decided to replace it all w/ a MAK 2 Star. I have come to absolutely love the 2 Star. I did find the room to sneak in a 26.75 kettle last year so that I can scratch my charcoal itch and still cook steaks over lump when I want... but as an all in one, the MAK 2 Star has won me over. As mentioned above, why not keep your MAK and give that a whirl. Ya never know :)

I will say, that after coming away from kamados, I do not miss them in the least. I must have gotten used to it, but if I eat smoked meat from a kamado nowadays, the meat tastes like it was cooked over a dirty campfire. In my opinion, the extreme efficiency of kamados is a double edged sword. On one side it’s great, but on the other you have a super small fire and when you add chunks of wood you get some pretty stagnant smoke. Just not my thing anymore. I know guys may disagree with me, but that’s ok :)

Ditto to above^^. The flavor is really quite different on a kamado to a pellet grill (I had a Primo oval xl for 8-9 years and have an akorn in the camper...I did anyways...it’s in the shed now)

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Doesn't your Mak or M1 do everything you need them to do as far as grilling and smoking?

Thanks for your suggestions! I love my MAK and I love the convenience, but it only gets up to 450 or so (I called MAK customer service today to confirm). My TEC grill gets up over 900 and makes an excellent crust on steaks and my family will kind of miss that. I may stick with the M1. I bought it to burn wood and it is a lot of fun, but I do have to feed it a split every 60-90 minutes or so, so no overnight briskets on weeknights.

Travis who makes the M1 said you can get 5 or 6 hours out of a basket full of charcoal in the smoking basket. I think someone said if you use those B&B charcoal logs that you can get even longer. Probably still not enough time to do an overnight cook though.

If you want to do overnight cooks and sleep than a Kamado or drum might be your best bet.

I do not have an M1, but aren't they made to run charcoal in the bottom basket? If that is the case then you ought to be able to pack it full for overnight cooks or use it for wood or grill about the same as a kamado. To me, that is your best option, even with wanting to get the high heat for steaks if you want it narrowed down to a single cooker. Plus it wont crack!

Thanks for your suggestions! I love my MAK and I love the convenience, but it only gets up to 450 or so (I called MAK customer service today to confirm). My TEC grill gets up over 900 and makes an excellent crust on steaks and my family will kind of miss that. I may stick with the M1. I bought it to burn wood and it is a lot of fun, but I do have to feed it a split every 60-90 minutes or so, so no overnight briskets on weeknights.

Biggest reason I have the kettle... steaks. The MAK does a pretty good job on steaks, but it’s not a screaming hot lump charcoal sear. As an everyday grill, the MAK is one of the best all around grills I have ever cooked on, and I’ve had my fair share. IMO it really boils down to your cooking style, needs and priorities. For me, with a busy family, it was all about convenience AND having a cooker that produces fantastic results... and that’s what led me to the 2 Star. That said, I did add the kettle for most of my steak cooks and when I get the charcoal itch. The MAK/kettle duo also make for the perfect reverse sear tag-team if that’s your thing. You mentioned “no more weeknight overnight briskets”... if overnight cooks or frequent low n slows are important to you, do you think you’d miss the convenience of a pellet cooker? Are you a busy family man? Do you have the time to manage a stick/charcoal smoker for ALL of your smoking needs? If yes, than the M1 may just fit the bill. If not, than perhaps the MAK and a small kettle like the Jumbo Joe for your searing needs would work better. Not trying to persuade you one way or the other... just recalling my thought process from a couple of years ago and thinking out loud :)

On one side it’s great, but on the other you have a super small fire and when you add chunks of wood you get some pretty stagnant smoke. Just not my thing anymore. I know guys may disagree with me, but that’s ok :)

The problem is when Kamados were becoming a big thing all of the forums push the idea of light one small area and add the wood chunks and let it come to temp. Even the manufactures pushed that method.

This technique was standard as a way of preventing the fire from becoming too large and the grill becoming too hot. Once a Kamado gets hot or you overshoot it takes a while to get it back down to a low temp because a Kamado holds heat so well. It works to a degree if you are patient enough to let the fire build and the grill to come to temp.

The problem though is most are impatient and when the grill is at temp they put the meat on. Then they put way too much wood on the fire and now they put the food on, and the grill is pumping out dirty smoke. Like stated above, the fire is too small and the amount of wood is too much.

I light the grill in several spots and leave the lid open and bottom vent open for enough time so that several areas are burning well. Then put a few wood chunks on and then the grates. The wood chunks are strategically placed so as to burn at different times as the fire grows. Most Kamados burn to the back as time progresses.

On really long smokes I use foil packets with soaked wood chips. I know sacrilege. I see it all the time on the Kamodo forums. Acrid taste....too smokey etc.

I have a Vision Kamado and have been using it for 5 years now and I have zero issues with smoke flavor. You can make the food as smokey as you want if you have common sense and learn the grill. I made a few mistakes when I first got my Kamado. But then I did my own thing based on my experience with the grill and taking my experience from using other grills.

A Kamado is one of the easiest grills to smoke on for hours and hours. I've gone over 20 hours smoking on the same basket of lump. I can have smoke for a few hours or many hours depending on the setup I use.

If your food is tasting too smokey or dirty or whatever....your doing it wrong. Like they say. Do you have 10 years experience or 1 year times 10. I never have stagnant smoke.

Get the cheapest ceramic Kamado you can. Most come with a lifetime warranty on ceramics. No sense paying for the name brand as they are almost completely the same as far as quality and function.

I love my Weber Summit Charcoal. So glad I picked it over a ceramic. I highly recommend it.
I second that. I had a ceramic as well but got tired of having to move the heavy thing around. I sold it and got the summit. For the price it has more room and is way more convenient. Plus it's a Weber, so there's that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have a Kamado Joe Big Joe, Akorn Jr. and now an Timberline 1300. I think this is the perfect combination of grills for me. I replaced a rusting out Akorn with the Timberline. I think a Kamado style grill and a pellet grill are a great combo. I would highly recommend the Kamado Joe lineup for a ceramic grill. I wouldn't get anything but a ceramic for a larger grill. The Akorn Jr. is perfect for small cooks and portability, when it rusts out it's easily replaced and a ceramic grill will last forever, without rusting out like the big Akorn.

Third vote for the Weber Summit...

To me it’s the only answer if your going to buy a kamado...

Third vote for the Weber Summit...

To me it’s the only answer if your going to buy a kamado...

I don't own one but if you are wanting to decide to get rid of everything else and have one cooker, that is a kamado style, I would forth this! The Summit grill looks like a very good option, and I have had my hands on one to look close. I still say that you have better versatility, keeping the M1, particularly for the stick burn option.

If I was going to sell everything and just go Kamado I’d do it the right way and get a Komodo kamado. It can do low and slow, high heat so the TEC is covered, and everything in between. Super fuel efficient and because it uses refractory cement less likely to have the cracking issues that some of the ceramics get. Best of all its a work of art (as long as you like the looks). The KK 32 big bad in metallic bronze is my wish list smoker, I actually almost bought it several times but I really do enjoy the simplicity of the pellet and the product it pouts out. For what a KK costs I don’t want it to not use it on a regular basis and with my current schedule I really couldn’t use it as much as I use the Mak, that being said if I had to reduce to 1 cooker and it was going to be a long term thing, the KK would get my investment, it could replace my PK, Hunsaker and to a point my MAK.

I'd be worried about using a cast iron grill and cracking. Especially when searing.

Tin you will need to worry about eventual rust and eventual burn out of it .

I have never worried about my Goldens' CI Cooker cracking when searing. Sorry, it's just not gonna happen. It's not gonna rust either.

Trust me, after nearly two years of ownership the cooker is bulletproof. I haven't had a single thing go wrong with it.

I have had a ceramic Kamado that cracked (discussed in a previous thread some months ago).

And after about 8 years of ownership, I had to rebuild my Bubba Keg (dual steel wall Kamado) due to rust through.

I'm not sure why you're leaning towards a Kamado, I would think your M1 offers everything a Kamado grill offers.

-lunchman

Back