• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Need some Inspiration

Tri tip. Pork or beef cheeks. Vegetables.

Grilled romaine caesars are incredible if you get them right.

Salads with smoked cheese.

Quail, pheasant, and I suspect smoked goose would be especially good, with the fat content. If you are in the piney woods you should be close to some of these.

Crawfish.

Oysters.

Never had them but I suspect smoked scallops would be delicious.

Amberjack, which is my all time favorite fish.

Redfish would stand up to mesquite. So does snapper.

You may already do this, but I love tripping to this Asian Market about as far across town as it can get. Produce Ive never seen before in my sheltered subdivision. Brilliant deep colors, wild shapes and names I can’t pronounce. I’m never disappointed. Meat case has rabbit- testicles-quality-squab sausage names I can’t pronounce. It’s a long way from my Oatmeal cookie no raisins life.

All that to say this
Asian
Italian
Mexican
Middle East

It’s anazing what a fresh tortilla with smashed chickpeas-humus. And humus home made with extra lemon is awesome.

Recipes. I apologize. I can visualize and somewhat reproduce what I am attempting, but following a recipe Is agonizing to me. It would be better if I did.

Looking forward to your cooks.

Adams, recipes are appreciated, but big vision ideas are really what I'm looking for. I want to push past the "traditional" BBQ and get into something more.

Good ideas......time to expand. :-D

Have you thought about some of Buccs' Thai-Inspired Ribs?

I think CINCHOUSE is about to twist my arm rather heartily into cooking a rack of these, on this last weekend before I "dive back in."

BREAK BREAK

Side Note - Having seen your last past note to Adams, have you looked at Frances Mallman's work - Chef's Table on Netflix? Might give you some thoughts / ideas, especially when dealing with fire. Don't get wrapped around the fire axle, but think about application of differing levels of heat to food, etc.

Additionally - If you've not watched "Cooked" on Netflix.... this is an excellent source of inspiration. I've watched it 5-6 times, and I get something new every time.

Fusion BBQ seems to be a term heard more frequently. Brisket sushi-brisket schmears for bagels- kimchi slaw (excellent by the way)

Cool thread. Thanks for posting

Have you thought about some of Buccs' Thai-Inspired Ribs?

I think CINCHOUSE is about to twist my arm rather heartily into cooking a rack of these, on this last weekend before I "dive back in."

BREAK BREAK

Side Note - Having seen your last past note to Adams, have you looked at Frances Mallman's work - Chef's Table on Netflix? Might give you some thoughts / ideas, especially when dealing with fire. Don't get wrapped around the fire axle, but think about application of differing levels of heat to food, etc.

Additionally - If you've not watched "Cooked" on Netflix.... this is an excellent source of inspiration. I've watched it 5-6 times, and I get something new every time.

Thanks, Marc! I was thinking of PM'ing you on this before I went public with this thread. You always have some neat ideas and great cooks.

Maybe I'm over thinking this. I know it's time for me to get outside of tradition. It might be time for me to step out and do something off the wall and original. :-D

Oh, that's right - Pine BARRENS, not piney woods. Silly me.

Great episode of Sopranos, but then you are relatively close to Philly so lots of food choices.

Maybe start smoking sausage or hell get a Dutch oven and start making deserts

I was going to suggest getting some cast iron to try new things. Lots of good recipes and options that might be new. Apps, meals, desserts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could adventure into the extreme unknown and go with...SPAM. :wacko:. But seriously, smoked then fried, chicken or ribs. Different styles of fatties. Smoked nuts. Scotch eggs. Smoked cordon bleu. Or start researching charcuterie and that might keep you busy for a while!

It may not be helpful, but I have watched videos on YouTube to get ideas. I like veggies so smoked onions with with the tops scooped out and cheese on top, sausage or beef stuffed onions, smoked cabbage stuffed or just seasoned and smoked, baba ghanoush, sausge stuffed zucchini boats, stuffed portabella, potato bombs.

There are plenty more books, but I like the BBQ Bible as a way to help expand your horizons.

Smoking Piney said:
Adams, recipes are appreciated, but big vision ideas are really what I'm looking for. I want to push past the "traditional" BBQ and get into something more.

Good ideas......time to expand. :-D

So I've had a rough idea I've been mulling over. I haven't quite nailed it down, so it's still a (mental) work in progress.

Everyone treats brisket as the Holy Grail of barbeque - that which has to be mastered and perfected. Don't get me wrong here, brisket is awesome. However, I rarely see people get creative with it...

I experimented with a brisket sausage. It came out pretty well after I got over the shock of "I'm going to buy a whole packer and grind it up."

I'll share my current thought: What about stuffing a brisket somehow? Fillet it open and fill it with something: Jalapeno cornbread dressing? Maybe some beefy variant of a turducken? Grind the point and stuff it in the flat? Or stuff it with candied pork belly cubes??? What about a brisket "porchetta"???

Am I nuts? :crazy:

David

I'm looking for a muse here. I've smoked my bucket list - ribs, briskets, turkey, chicken, pork butts, rib roasts, leg of lamb, moink balls, pig shots, ABTs....... and just about everything I can think to put in the smoke.

I need inspiration to venture into the undiscovered country. I need something new.

Any suggestions? :-D

I'm late to the party and the thread is long, so I don't know what all has been covered in all of other replies?

Look at your craft of smoking as a learning tool, there is always something around the next curve for you to explore and try.

While I am not a big fan of the Steven Raichlen books like "The BBQ Bible" for a beginner, simply because they are too diverse. To a beginner they can become confusing because he jumps all over the place. They are also often referred to as "Everything but the Kitchen Sink" books.
Don't misinterpret my message; They are not bad books, but they can become overwhelming and confusing to a newbie. With that said, they are great books for inspiration and new ideas in a quest for trying something new. They contain many recipes for world-wide foods, many which are great at the table.

Also, if you're at a stalemate with your finished food product, try your hand at curing meat, or even making sausage. They are diverse areas of quality homemade foods. Keep your new projects simple the first time out and don't over-think them, or they might seem too difficult to revisit. (IE: The first few times you don't have to try and stuff your sausage into casings, patties can taste just as good.) This way you try the experience without sinking a lot of funds into equipment you might never use again. You don't need to buy equipment to try new things, many butchers are willing to grind the meat for you as long as you purchase it from them. Even for curing, Morton's tender Quick is readily available locally so you don't need to buy a scale the first time out. Keep It Simple.

Good luck and be sure to share your journey into flavors with us.

I'd suggest an underground pig, if it weren't the middle of winter.
How adventurous are ya? :-D

Jeanie,

I'm fairly adventurous, but I don't have a spot for the pit.

I think I'm going to pay more attention to better and more creative sides. To be honest, I really don't give sides much attention now, when I do know that great sides can really put a plate over the top.

Last edited:
Back