Ain't No Thang But A Chicken Wang!

USMC

is one Smokin' Farker
Figure I'll have a go at entering a Throwdown finally. I figured for a Throwdown noob, I'd just keep it simple with some hot wings on the kettle.

First, liberally sprinkled on some Old Bay Garlic & Herb.

Over direct first for a quick sear.

Seared in batches then moved over for indirect.

Added some small pieces of pecan to the coals and once going good, put the lid on and let them smoke for about 40-45 minutes (normally I go 30 but these were big meaty wings).

Put together a sauce of Frank's Red Hot, butter, and a few splashes of whatsthishere sauce.

Plated up with a side of leftover ribs and mac n cheese.

Can't forget the buttermilk ranch!

Thanks for looking!

Jarhead,

You had me dead to rights until you doused the bird with ranch. You put so much flavor on 'em that it's a damned shame to drown them in Hidden Valley (or the like)! Nice to see other fellas grill up wings the way I prefer.

Best regards,
SD

Jarhead,

You had me dead to rights until you doused the bird with ranch. You put so much flavor on 'em that it's a damned shame to drown them in Hidden Valley (or the like)! Nice to see other fellas grill up wings the way I prefer.

Best regards,
SD

I threw a few more wings on top (without adding more ranch) before I dug in. It looks like a lot but it was just enough to balance the heat.

That's the only way I cook them now and they come out perfect every time. I've tried a few different methods and this is truly the best. I've tried a lot of sauces too and Frank's is the family's favorite.

Those look great. :clap2:

I've never tried butter in a sauce mix, and you reminded me I forgot to take the wings out of the freezer last night. :doh:

What are left over ribs? You mean we aren't supposed to eat all the ribs.

The wings looks great mine always come out soggy or blackened. Still practicing and eating my mistakes.

Those look great. :clap2:

I've never tried butter in a sauce mix, and you reminded me I forgot to take the wings out of the freezer last night. :doh:

You gotta try the butter brother! You don't know what you been missing! Look up buffalo sauce recipes (most have butter) and tweak to your liking. Our favorite is about 2 parts Frank's Red Hot to 1 part butter and a few splashes of worcestershire.

What are left over ribs? You mean we aren't supposed to eat all the ribs.

The wings looks great mine always come out soggy or blackened. Still practicing and eating my mistakes.

Left over ribs are the kind you hide in a disguised container (Country Crock butter bowls with lids work great) in the very back of the fridge. I like to snack on them for a few days. :biggrin1:

Do the wings like I did and they come out perfect every time. Make a two zone fire and cook them first over the direct side. Turn them a few times till you get them the color you want then transfer them to the indirect side. Throw the lid on and let em smoke for about 30-45 minutes depending on the size of the wings. Then toss em in your favorite buffalo style sauce and you'll have wing perfection.

For bigger batches, you can sear a bunch on the kettle, then transfer them to the smoker.

USMC, Once again you have done your country greatness! Thanks so much for this post. I've eaten plenty of wangs but have never got around to making them. Pure Inspiration! and on a side note Thank You for serving our Country.

USMC, Once again you have done your country greatness! Thanks so much for this post. I've eaten plenty of wangs but have never got around to making them. Pure Inspiration! and on a side note Thank You for serving our Country.

Thank you and honored to have served this fine nation! What kind of trailer is that in your avatar? I've got a little 13' Casita that I use as my hunting camp.

Last edited:
USMC those look excellent!! Wish I had a wing or five right now. :grin:

Thank you and honored to have served this fine nation! What kind of trailer is that in your avatar? I've got a little 13' Casita that I use as my hunting camp.

The Casita makes a great hunting camper especially if your in some extreme outdoor environments. My Avitar is a Bailey built vintage design built in 1993. It is not mine unfortunately. I am working on a similar design with the idea of putting a BWS Chubby or Humphrey Half Pint in the rear kitchen for parties.

Back