• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New Griddle Owner - Looking to Improve My Griddle Burger Process for Parties

LakeFranci

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone-

I'm new here, but I recently set up my first griddle. A Camp Chef flat top grill/griddle. I've made some of the best burgers I've every made, but I'd like to do better on turning out burgers for a crowd. I'd like for the burgers to finish at roughly the same time.

Here's my process for 12 burgers:

Prep Steps
  1. Light griddle, all medium/low
  2. Slice the onion, put in a bowl
  3. Roll 80/20 ground beef into 2.5" balls
  4. Put a spoonful of clarified butter (from Trader Joes) in a small glass bowl
  5. Grab the burger flipper, scraper, and silicone brush and head outside

Cooking Steps
  1. Place clarified butter in top left (to allow it to melt)
  2. Put onion on middle left burner with oil. Give it a few minutes head start. Try not to put your beer too close to the side or it'll get warm.
  3. On the far left burner, spread out some clarified butter with the brush and put the buns down. Probably 6 at a time.
  4. When the buns are toasted, move them to a cookie sheet on the first rack to keep them warm and do another 6 buns, all while the onions are cooking.
  5. Pull the last set of buns and put them on a platter on the first rack to keep warm.
  6. Crank up the right 2 burners to medium/high
  7. Place a meat ball down, put parchment over it, and smash it (repeat for 6 total)
  8. Flip it, salt it, and cheese it (still working on the right tool to steam the cheese on 6 burgers)
  9. Remove the burgers and put them on the bottom buns which are underneath on a platter
  10. Repeat the burger making for 6 more

Things I want to fix:
  • Finish all 12 burgers at the same time, which probably means just sliding the onions over to the far left and doing all 12 at once
  • Steaming the cheese for mass quantities (looking at roasting pans or something rectangular. I have a 14" wok cover, but it's not the right tool for a rectangular griddle surface.

I'd love to hear your tips for churning out burgers for a crowd. I love this new griddle. I used to hate making burgers on my weber gas grill, I couldn't consistently make good burgers.

When cooking for a crowd i don't do smash burgers takes to long per burger. Till you get done smashing the first one is normally done. I like to make all uniform patties and throw on at once.

(still working on the right tool to steam the cheese on 6 burgers)

Disposable aluminum pan with a neodymium magnet on one side and a magnetic hook on the other. Total cost: couple of bucks.

(still working on the right tool to steam the cheese on 6 burgers)

Disposable aluminum pan with a neodymium magnet on one side and a magnetic hook on the other. Total cost: couple of bucks.

Was gonna suggest disposable pan also but what's the magnet and hook for?

Also for big crowds I'd precook the onions. They hold well and it's one less thing to shuffle around.

What is the benefit of "smashing" the burgers? Is it simply to shorten the time required to create a crust?

For cheese melting, I'd get a squirt bottle with super fine tip. Squirt a fine line of water right down the middle of each row of burgers. Not too much. It melts the cheese in a hurry, no topper needed. Unless you are using super thick cheese.

Pre-form all your burgers ahead of time and pre-cook your onions. I remember from my time at McD's as a kid, I could cook 48 at a time. They'd be frozen so it was easier to put them on the grill. We'd put down 2 rows of 6 burgers at a time. By the time you got burger 47 & 48 down, the first rows were ready to flip. By the time you get to the end again, they were ready for you to start taking them off the grill.

If this is going to be something you do often, why not get a steamer pan set. You can use the lid for the "steaming". I am sure you can use the pan itself for something too.

choice-replacement-full-size-solid-dome-steam-table-hotel-pan-cover-for-choice-8-qt-chafer.jpg

I'd go look at Restaurant Depot.

I cook LOTS of burgers quite often on my Blackstone. As far as melting the cheese... right as the burger comes up to the desired temp, I will flip and immediately place cheese on the side that just came off the hot griddle surface. Melts beautifully within a minute or so, even if you remove the patty from the griddle.

Thanks everyone. I might try the roasting pan idea for melting the cheese. I'd like to still be able to smashburgers for a crowd, but I realize why mattmountz94 doesn't like doing them for that many.

I might pre-cook the onions, but the smell is awesome on a nice day outside.

Back