View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 02:43 PM   #1
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default Catering Scam Attempt?

I received a text message today from a number in California wanting to have us cater a birthday party for 50 on December 19th. No big deal, we get calls/emails from out of town all the time for people wanting to set up a party for when they're visiting. I was a little put off by him using text instead of calling or emailing, but it's not unheard of.
We agreed on a menu and pricing, and then he said he needed a favor. He said he had a DJ lined up but the DJ didn't have a credit card processor so he wanted to pay us for the DJ ($2500) and then just pick up the cash from us once the credit card cleared. Warning bells are going off big time now.
I asked for the name of the DJ and who the party was for. He said the DJ was James. I asked if James had a last name. He said Andrew. Now I know all the local DJ's in this area and there's no James, no Andrew, and no James Andrew. He said the birthday party was for his father, McCarthy Adams. No McCarthy Adams in this area that I know of.
I told him I wasn't in the least bit comfortable with that idea, and he offered an extra $50 for my troubles. I clarified and told him I wasn't interested in doing the catering either. He tried a couple more times and I finally told him I'm not interested in cooking a bunch of food that would never be picked up just so he could use a stolen credit card. Never heard back.

Has anyone else had something similar happen to them?