• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pellet smoker

Hello. This is my first post on this forum. I am pleased that the first thread I've read is asking some of the same questions I have.
I have read about several pellet smoker/grills. I see that the GMG controller is 110V/12V and understand that concept. Just not sure if that is something I would need.
The RECTEC 590 looks like it will fit my needs but the GMG DB is less costly.
Any further info will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Got my Rec tec 590 a few weeks ago..Best $$ I could have spent on a pellet smoker. Did an 10hr over night help temps all night long.Built really good. Customer service has been top notch! I only did 5 cooks on it, only problem could have been more smoke flavor. Spend the extra $$ and thank me later.
DanB

Hi Got my Rec tec 590 a few weeks ago..Best $$ I could have spent on a pellet smoker. Did an 10hr over night help temps all night long.Built really good. Customer service has been top notch! I only did 5 cooks on it, only problem could have been more smoke flavor. Spend the extra $$ and thank me later.
DanB

Hi Dan - pellet smokers are designed to be able to hold temps overnight. That's what they do - it isn't 590 specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanB

Dan, have you tried the "smoke" setting yet to see if it gives you more smoke flavor? I haven't had the chance to use that feature.

MAK's controller program is designed to produce tons of smoke flavor, which it does, very well. I had to use smoke generators with my other pellet smokers, but once I got the MAK, the smoke generators were totally unnecessary.
I can't understand why the myth of "all pellet grills produce light smoke flavor" persists, even though many have posted differently.

MAK's controller program is designed to produce tons of smoke flavor, which it does, very well. I had to use smoke generators with my other pellet smokers, but once I got the MAK, the smoke generators were totally unnecessary.
I can't understand why the myth of "all pellet grills produce light smoke flavor" persists, even though many have posted differently.

Trying not to paint with too broad of a brush, but I think the MAKs tend to be the exception to the rule.

Taking 2 smokers with the same pellets and the same temps I really cant see how a different taste would be the end result, I do know that lower temps cause more smoke, I see folks bashing inferior pellet grills for temp swings either way, no magic metal I know of to change the flavor, having only had food off my pellet smoker its hard to see why or how there could be much difference, Not sure I would like the food more off of another pellet smoker.

Taking 2 smokers with the same pellets and the same temps I really cant see how a different taste would be the end result, I do know that lower temps cause more smoke, I see folks bashing inferior pellet grills for temp swings either way, no magic metal I know of to change the flavor, having only had food off my pellet smoker its hard to see why or how there could be much difference, Not sure I would like the food more off of another pellet smoker.

Totally hear ya, and there was a time that I had identical thoughts. I had an old US made Traeger back in the day. Cooked a ton of food on it, but it never really excited me. Sold in in 2006 and was pellet-less for over 10 years. Then I bought my buddies old MAK 1 Star for nothing more than a convenience cooker. I was stunned. Sold it and have now had a few MAK’s. Sold one of my 2 Stars to TomB (fellow Brethren) last year. Check out his experience and this post I shared shortly after he bought it.

——————————

So, as some of you know, a couple of months ago I decided to order the 2019 version of the MAK 2 Star. As part of "the plan" I put my 2017 2 Star up for sale. Not being out to gouge anyone, I attracted a buyer from 9 hours away. We set a day/time... he made a hotel reservation... he and his wife drove from SoCal to NorCal on a Friday... stayed overnight... picked up the MAK early Saturday morning... spent the day putzing around in the Sacramento area... and returned home Saturday night. What some guys/gals will do for a good deal... lol.

We spent probably close to an hour chit-chatting the morning he came over to pick up his new 2 Star. During our coversation, I discovered a few things:

1) His acquisition of my MAK put him at a total of 11 backyard cookers. From a pellet grill, to a stick burner, to a Santa Maria style grill, to a you-name-it... he already had ALL of his bases covered.

2) Although he's heard plenty of positive talk regarding MAK Grills, he's never seen one, nor has he ever had food from one.

3) He is not new to pellet grills, and currently owns a Traeger Timberline 1300 which he really likes!

4) He doesn't want 2 pellet grills sitting in his backyard.

5) He told me that the only reason he had decided to make the 18ish hour roundtrip to buy the MAK was to satisfy his curiousity. His plan was to return home and begin doing a series of side-by-side comparisons... MAK 2 Star vs Traeger Timberline. The winner stays, the loser is put up for sale. His plan was to put them head-to-head over this upcoming summer and then list the loser.

At the end of our conversation, I helped him load the MAK into his truck and watched him drive away.

Since that day, he has done 2 side-by-sides:

1) Chicken thighs, done indirect at 375. The results were a tie with no discernable difference. Both cookers produced a fantastic end result. That said, he put the MAK as the winner because of the shorter pre-heat time. MAK was cruising at 375 within 18 minutes. The Timberline 1300 took 42 minutes.

2) Not a side-by-side, but he also wanted to see what the grilling power of the 2 Star was like. With the sale of the MAK, I included 2 of MAK's sear grates. He used the sear grates to grill burgers and reported back that he was very impressed!

3) After his chicken thigh experience, his next side-by-side was a low-n-slow St. Louis rib cook. One slab of ribs on each smoker... and each slab prepared the same. At the conclusion of the experiment, these were his words. "Both racks had the same basic flavor (same rub). Timberline smoke profile was subtle and clean. MAK smoke profile blew me away, very pronounced more so than my clean running stick burner. May even need to work on dialing it back some with different pellets and/or higher temps."

I saw pictures of both slabs of ribs, and I was actually surprised myself to see the difference in color alone. The MAK ribs looked like slow smoked ribs should whereas the Timberline ribs had more of a baked look to them.

So here we are in May, with this new MAK owners side-by-side comparisons just getting underway... and here is what he said last night. "I plan on a butt maybe next week, but no further testing is required. My mind is made up! The MAK is a better cooker in every way minus capacity." We talked about the capacity comment and how the MAK is deceptively LARGE! He's gonna be fine [emoji846]

His final parting comment last night... "the Timberline to be listed soon!"

Boy, that did't take long :)

I know there are folks here with the expertise in how controllers work to manage the fire/smoke in pellet smokers. MAKs and possibly others are programmed to produce the right smoke at the right times to impart maximum smoke to the meat and it's good smoke, not bad.
I had one smoker that had wild temp swings and made lots of smoke, but hardly any smoke got to the meat. I had another smoker that always made very gentle smoke and hardly any smoke to the meat. I had a third, that maintained temps very well, but produced almost no smoke flavor, to my taste. I finally happened on the MAK and have not had to look for another pellet smoker. I don't have a Yoder, however from what I've read, it works as well as the MAK and I'm sure there are others out there. Every pellet smoker maker will program their controller to manage the fire differently and that's how 2 different pellet smokers, using the same pellets, at the same temps, will produce different results.

Totally hear ya, and there was a time that I had identical thoughts. I had an old US made Traeger back in the day. Cooked a ton of food on it, but it never really excited me. Sold in in 2006 and was pellet-less for over 10 years. Then I bought my buddies old MAK 1 Star for nothing more than a convenience cooker. I was stunned. Sold it and have now had a few MAK’s. Sold one of my 2 Stars to TomB (fellow Brethren) last year. Check out his experience and this post I shared shortly after he bought it.

——————————

So, as some of you know, a couple of months ago I decided to order the 2019 version of the MAK 2 Star. As part of "the plan" I put my 2017 2 Star up for sale. Not being out to gouge anyone, I attracted a buyer from 9 hours away. We set a day/time... he made a hotel reservation... he and his wife drove from SoCal to NorCal on a Friday... stayed overnight... picked up the MAK early Saturday morning... spent the day putzing around in the Sacramento area... and returned home Saturday night. What some guys/gals will do for a good deal... lol.

We spent probably close to an hour chit-chatting the morning he came over to pick up his new 2 Star. During our coversation, I discovered a few things:

1) His acquisition of my MAK put him at a total of 11 backyard cookers. From a pellet grill, to a stick burner, to a Santa Maria style grill, to a you-name-it... he already had ALL of his bases covered.

2) Although he's heard plenty of positive talk regarding MAK Grills, he's never seen one, nor has he ever had food from one.

3) He is not new to pellet grills, and currently owns a Traeger Timberline 1300 which he really likes!

4) He doesn't want 2 pellet grills sitting in his backyard.

5) He told me that the only reason he had decided to make the 18ish hour roundtrip to buy the MAK was to satisfy his curiousity. His plan was to return home and begin doing a series of side-by-side comparisons... MAK 2 Star vs Traeger Timberline. The winner stays, the loser is put up for sale. His plan was to put them head-to-head over this upcoming summer and then list the loser.

At the end of our conversation, I helped him load the MAK into his truck and watched him drive away.

Since that day, he has done 2 side-by-sides:

1) Chicken thighs, done indirect at 375. The results were a tie with no discernable difference. Both cookers produced a fantastic end result. That said, he put the MAK as the winner because of the shorter pre-heat time. MAK was cruising at 375 within 18 minutes. The Timberline 1300 took 42 minutes.

2) Not a side-by-side, but he also wanted to see what the grilling power of the 2 Star was like. With the sale of the MAK, I included 2 of MAK's sear grates. He used the sear grates to grill burgers and reported back that he was very impressed!

3) After his chicken thigh experience, his next side-by-side was a low-n-slow St. Louis rib cook. One slab of ribs on each smoker... and each slab prepared the same. At the conclusion of the experiment, these were his words. "Both racks had the same basic flavor (same rub). Timberline smoke profile was subtle and clean. MAK smoke profile blew me away, very pronounced more so than my clean running stick burner. May even need to work on dialing it back some with different pellets and/or higher temps."

I saw pictures of both slabs of ribs, and I was actually surprised myself to see the difference in color alone. The MAK ribs looked like slow smoked ribs should whereas the Timberline ribs had more of a baked look to them.

So here we are in May, with this new MAK owners side-by-side comparisons just getting underway... and here is what he said last night. "I plan on a butt maybe next week, but no further testing is required. My mind is made up! The MAK is a better cooker in every way minus capacity." We talked about the capacity comment and how the MAK is deceptively LARGE! He's gonna be fine [emoji846]

His final parting comment last night... "the Timberline to be listed soon!"

Boy, that did't take long :)

By far the best cooker acquisition that I have ever made!!

Side by side thread
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271875

It's not a magic metal. The algorithms vary from controller to controller and that changes the character of the smoke you get. The first Rec Tec controller kept temps tight but smoke flavor was minimal. Switching to their WIFI controller changed the character of the smoke and many of us noticed an increase in smoke flavor after the switch. The new Camp Chef controllers seem to be producing a similar result according to folks on that forum.

Pictures say a lot! This isn't smoke mode or 175°. This is 270°.
ce7243b2c6e301f4fd0e6508055aca4e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I still prefer my $200 PB over my $2000 Timberline 1300. Of course the 1300 has its pro's like being able to do a small whole hog, or a LOT of butts or briskets , and the ability to hold a steady 165F for keeping things warm, or jerky and smoked salmon. But there is a noticable difference in smoke smell that comes off the PB that just smells cleaner and somewhat sweet. I can't explain it.

My GMG produces smoke at all temps and quite a bit to be honest, even in the 325 range. GMG has a great controller. But at 300F the flavor it adds pales in comparison to my drum. I get way better smoke at 300F from the drum than hours at 225 in the GMG. I love the pellet for a reverse sear. I would never not have a pellet grill. A MAK 1* could be in my future if the GMG ever shoots craps. But I really don’t believe any pellet is going match the flavor of my drum.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the look of the MAKs? They look very... gas grill to me.
I know this doesn't really matter but I am struggling with them visually.

I agree looks are kind of a silly thing to be worried about but that was a hang up for me too before I purchased the Mak 2 star.

I liked the look of the Yoder more as well...

Ive owned it about 5 months and the “Looks” have grown on me and actually I like the looks as much maybe more than the Yoder now...

I’m going to guess my affection for its looks has grown, in part, due to its stellar performance.

Its not been perfect but highly recommend and would not hesitate to purchase if something happened to it and I could afford another.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the look of the MAKs? They look very... gas grill to me.
I know this doesn't really matter but I am struggling with them visually.

No you are not. I passed on the MAK and Yoder because they both look like gassers. I ended up buying a Timberline 1300. Also, WiFi was a big factor at the time as well.

No you are not. I passed on the MAK and Yoder because they both look like gassers. I ended up buying a Timberline 1300. Also, WiFi was a big factor at the time as well.

Both my wife and I thought the 2 Star looked a lot like our Weber gasser.
We initially passed on it (unfortunately during the group buy), but after talking to folks who bought them and loved them, we bit the bullet and bought it.
No regrets at all - I’ve called MAK a couple of times with questions, and they have always quick to answer and very helpful.

Good morning. I am new to the forum. This is my first post. I just purchased a Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850. I did a lot of research and ended up with the Pitts and Spitts.
Congrats! I've seen those in person. Very impressive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good morning. I am new to the forum. This is my first post. I just purchased a Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850. I did a lot of research and ended up with the Pitts and Spitts.
Welcome Indy and congrats on the 850, make sure post up some cooks and action shots for us.

Back