Vintage Hobart Meat Slicer (Model 11-A, 1936, first electric slicer)

BTW, breads freeze easily, and they reheat wrapped in foil to let us have hot and fresh bread with any dinner. So easy!

Cool slicer timboio! Congratulations on the find.

I have an old Hobart model 411 slicer. Been using this one for a couple of decades. Doesn't get used often enough to truly justify owning, but when we do, it is a joy to use, and always amazes friends and family.
Sort of a show pony.:thumb:

Currently have it torn down to replace a part that I had been searching for 20 years to find. Luckily found the part, so she is getting her first complete teardown for a full refurb.

Sometime during her life, one of her previous owners had tried to weld the broken aluminum lever that adjusts depth of cut, and totally botched the job. I was manually setting the depth of cut, which was not terribly hard to do, so I never bothered to tear it down to extract the lever and properly weld it back.

Was glad to find a NOS part, so now she will return to 100% function. As heavy duty as this thing is, my grandkids will be using it long after I am gone.

Check out the link below these pictures of my 411, regarding your 11-A.

IMG_2695.jpg

IMG_2697_2.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

Did you know that your model 11-A also came as a 11-AP?

https://my.hobartcorp.com/resourcecenter/ProductDocumentation/Slicer 11-AP Slicer Specification.pdf

You got that right. It's somewhere well over 100lb. If it weren't so unwieldy to move, I'd stick it on a scale to figure out the actual weight. As it is, I just try not to think about the pain of the next time I need to move it off this table.

180lbs. according to the link from Hobart.

Very cool old slicer. And I remember using one of those mixers in the early eighties when I was shift leader at a pizza place. Had to make at least 3 buckets of dough every morning, 5 on weekends. And yes, that hook will easily break an arm. I got lucky and only dislocated a couple fingers before I learned.

That is so cool.. in a lot of cases, I'd rather have the old stuff that was built to last forever. Nice find and congrats.

Very cool slicer! Hobart is a standard in commercial kitchens and bakeries.

I'd love to have that mixer!

Holy cow. What a project that is to replace the part. Like a jigsaw puzzle. You are a patient person to do that, and you will be rewarded with a most excellent slicer when done.

Love the paint jobs you fellas have done for your slicers, too. I say make room for those beauties in your kitchens, and show them off, too. These are some fun and useful gems.

Can you use the meat slicers for other foods? If so, what kinds?

Holy cow. What a project that is to replace the part. Like a jigsaw puzzle. You are a patient person to do that, and you will be rewarded with a most excellent slicer when done.

Love the paint jobs you fellas have done for your slicers, too. I say make room for those beauties in your kitchens, and show them off, too. These are some fun and useful gems.

I've also used it for cheese, bread, and of course, various kinds of meats (salami, deli, raw beef/pork for things like bulgogi). But really, the only thing it actually makes sense to use for is meat and cheese. :)

Luckly I enjoy taking stuff apart and reassembling.
Can be like a puzzle, but the success is rewarding, especially when you don't have any pieces left over. I rather enjoy the process of waiting long enough from the tear down time, to reassembley, that I have forgotten how it came apart. True puzzle then.
Thanks for the patience compliment.

I'm sure it would cut almost any food group, but meat is my main use.

Last edited:
Nice find! I like the lack of safety features and warning stickers.

I was recently given one of these slicer by my father. This is the only thing I've found on the web in regards to a similar model. What a cool gadget!

Attachments

• IMG_2890.jpg
    IMG_2890.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2895.jpg
    IMG_2895.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 133
This kinda stuff is right up my alley. Love it! The wife would love that mixer as she makes rolls semi-professionally (a few dozen per week) and often makes all the dough at one time. She uses a Kitchen-Aid now.
That old Hobart made me look at my drill press which looks somewhat similar except for the turntable of course. Hmmmm, 8 speeds with a belt/pulley swap. I think I can get it slow enough. Now for some industrial sized hooks.

Nice find! I also have an older one that is similar to yours. I picked it up $50 and had intensions of restoring it back to factory mint. I'm guessing that yours is friction driven as well. My dad and I started the restoration and got everything cleaned up and running. My intentions of bringing it back to factory mint was short lived. These early electric Hobarts are porcelain coated and not painted. Which made the restoration come to a grinding halt. I believe there are only a couple places left in the country that will take porcelain coating projects. Unfortunately I can't justify the cost and shipping it would take to restore the slicer. If money was endless I would in a heart beat.

I'm glad you were able to find some information on yours. I picked up an American Slicing Machine hand crank slicer and had to do a bunch of research myself. Turns out American Slicing Machine Company was pre-Berkel in the United States. Made in Chicago. American Slicing Machine Company ended up becoming United States Berkel. The patent on the slicer ended either in 1919 or 1920. It needs a full restoration and 99% complete. I couldn't pass on it when it came up for sale.

Something neat about these old slicers. Cool to see your post here on the forum.

Nice find! I also have an older one that is similar to yours. I picked it up $50 and had intensions of restoring it back to factory mint. I'm guessing that yours is friction driven as well. My dad and I started the restoration and got everything cleaned up and running. My intentions of bringing it back to factory mint was short lived. These early electric Hobarts are porcelain coated and not painted. Which made the restoration come to a grinding halt. I believe there are only a couple places left in the country that will take porcelain coating projects. Unfortunately I can't justify the cost and shipping it would take to restore the slicer. If money was endless I would in a heart beat.

I'm glad you were able to find some information on yours. I picked up an American Slicing Machine hand crank slicer and had to do a bunch of research myself. Turns out American Slicing Machine Company was pre-Berkel in the United States. Made in Chicago. American Slicing Machine Company ended up becoming United States Berkel. The patent on the slicer ended either in 1919 or 1920. It needs a full restoration and 99% complete. I couldn't pass on it when it came up for sale.

Something neat about these old slicers. Cool to see your post here on the forum.

Epoxy coatings can, and are being used to refurb porcelain. Find a company specializing in refurbishing vintage cast iron tubs and free standing sinks. Or get one of the DIY kits. Like painting, surface prep is key, but quite do-able.

Cool find on the hand crank. If I ever find one, it will come home with me.

I was recently given one of these slicer by my father. This is the only thing I've found on the web in regards to a similar model. What a cool gadget!

It's great to see another one of these in the wild!

If this still has the grinding stone in one piece (behind that upper silver plate), is there a chance you could take it off and take a picture of it, and post the specific measurements of it's diameter, and the size of the mounting hole in the center? I'm interested in manufacturing one out of a grinding stone on my own, but don't know the actual dimensions.

Nice story, if it were me I would get on the phone with the marketing manager at Hobart and play lets make a deal! If this unit is truly that rare I could see them trading for a new model. It costs nothing to ask.
Ed

Back