View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #3
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMIMNAK View Post
I'm about to compete in my first SCA Steak cookoff. I've tried Kosmos Texas Beef and Killer Hogs A.P. rub. Both are very different from each other, but I like both very much.

But what is your favorite SPG/base layer type rub, especially for beef?

I did one SCA event and got 9th out of 44 teams. I cooked indirect on a Kettle with Slow & Sear using flaming mesquite chunks. Cook direct to get the grill marks, then moved to indirect to finish. I used a 50/50 mix of Sucklebusters SPG and Adkins Ranch Style Steak Seasoning (I got at HEB).

People were marinating their steaks in all kinds of junk, and tying them up with cooking twine to "shape" them. I did nothing. I literally sat there and did nothing while watching people trim and tie their steaks for an hour. I took 4 minutes and trimmed a tad bit of fat off and edge and sprinkled a little of my seasoning mix on on both sides. That's it.

I'd keep it simple and don't over complicate it. When I saw people tying with strings I was thinking "Crap, I may be out of my league". I saw none of the string tying people around me get calls. In the end I beat them all. I think good flavor beats a steak that looks like it was stamped out.

Your milage may vary.

Last edited by Rockinar; 07-26-2018 at 06:11 PM..
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->