Foodsaver

T

TedWagner

When I fire up the smoker, I tend to make much more that my wife and I can eat in a few days...so I'm thinking of buying a foodsaver/vaccum sealer.

I've started searching around and find that some people use these things on a daily basis for everything from chips and cereal to leftovers.

Anyone have recommendations on how they work and which make/model perfoms well?

-Ted
Austin, TX

Holy Vacum pack Batman!!!! I just bought one about an hour ago at Costco. its the Foodsaver 1075 Elite. $139.00 at Costco, and a big box of extra bagging material for 39.00. it also came with a "store and slice" thingy to dispense the bagging material, some extra bags, and a few containers. I'll be playin with it tonight and let ya know.

Home DEpot also has one, but it wasn't pricemarked, so i passed on it last week. Saw the Costco one today and grabbed it.

we have the foodsaver pro model and use it often--and if it broke would buy another while waiting for repairs. In fact may buy another smaller unit to carry with cooking stuff so we can seal on the spot when done with cooking--
love that ron popeil

Buzz

I have one. Use it quite bit. Daily basis is a little bit rediculous, Cost of the bags is prohibitive for that type of use. However I will smoke a shitload of meat and freeze for the winter using my vacusealer. Works great.

Use it all the time. At least weekly. Instead of buying the big Sam's bags of chicken we started buying the fresh bulk chicken, pork and steaks from Sams. Then zipping them into two somes (it's just me and the wife).

No freezer burn. Easy to thaw. And oh yeah, great for bulk bbq.

Guys,
I tried my new Foodsaver last night with extra brisket (extra, not leftover - never that) and I can't get it to seal. It keeps removing the air until it starts pulling juices from the meat into the machine. Should I be using the manual seal button to seal the bags? Any ideas?
Stl Mike

Bought my Food Saver years ago when they had them on TV
Infomercials. It has ingratiated itself into my kitchen as a necessary
piece of equipment. If it were to break, I would get a replacement
just as quickly as if it were my refrigerator. (Probably quicker since they are less expensive.)

Unless you live out of cans & MRE’s it’s even more
difficult to cook for one person.

In another group there is even talk of Food Saver bags involving a
Dishwasher Mod!! :lol: :lol:

stlmike said:
Guys,
I tried my new Foodsaver last night with extra brisket (extra, not leftover - never that) and I can't get it to seal. It keeps removing the air until it starts pulling juices from the meat into the machine. Should I be using the manual seal button to seal the bags? Any ideas?
Stl Mike

Did you get a video with it? We got a Foodsaver proII and you need to put a folded up paper towel in the bag just below where it will seal. Or the video says to partially freeze the stuff in the bag before you seal it.

Mark, You might be on to something. I bought the Foodsaver a month ago, watched the video, and have only used with dry foods. I do remember the folded up paper towel trick now. Too many Ultras I guess.
StL Mike

I own a Ziplock Pro Model

One side is green, the other side yellow. When you pinch the two sides together, the color is blue, or something, letting you know you have a tight seal.

Works great, and $3 buys you a box of 200.

I used to use that model, but found out over the long haul, that it contributed to freezer burn. Maybe when I pinched the green and yellow sides together I wasn't getting blue??? Is there a certain technique that you use when pinching?
Mike

First, squeeze out the excess air, then apply even pressure in a horizontal motion, pinching both sides at the some time.

To avoid friction, you may want to apply corn starch to your fingures before hand.

The Ziploc Mod.

Same pinch, different Mod

I'm stopping on this one, before we go to far off topic.

BBQchef33 said:
Holy Vacum pack Batman!!!! I just bought one about an hour ago at Costco. its the Foodsaver 1075 Elite. $139.00 at Costco, and a big box of extra bagging material for 39.00. it also came with a "store and slice" thingy to dispense the bagging material, some extra bags, and a few containers. I'll be playin with it tonight and let ya know.

Bash III will be leftovers :lol:

Back