Anyone else doing Pastrami today??

H9vvtKBl.jpg

Anyone try pizza on the Pit Barrel yet? What kind of temps can be reached? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Can't give you temps since I cooked it a while back but if I had to guess I'd say 450-500. I used my Kamado Joe stones though and not the grate. Did a couple of pies and they came out good. Used Cowboy lump.

20130927_212211.jpg

20130927_205123_LLS.jpg

20130927_205848_LLS.jpg

20130927_212620.jpg

20130927_212620.jpg

20130927_212903.jpg

Wow, I didn't know temps above 400-450 could damage the PBC. I was already planning my extreme mesquite lump inferno to try to replicate Sako's steak post from a couple pages back.

You'd be fine Kanco. I've burned plenty of mesquite even in my v1 PBC which was powder coated. The v2 with the porcelain enamel coating are bulletproof. How bullet proof? A buddy of mine burned splits in his PBC to keep warm when they were up in the mountains. Absolutely no damage.

Copy that. Thanks. By the way, I was reading some of the old KCquers Roadmap and there was an imposter! Named "Saiko". Huh? There's only on SAKO! Just watch your back.

Nice work Sportster! :thumb: Pack some of that up and send it South (Southwest) for me...:becky:

Hey guys, long time no post. Yesterday I did my first brisket in my PBC. Rubbed with Pit Happens rub and at 160 wrapped in butcher paper with Kosmos Q brisket mop.

Took it to 204 at the thickest point in the flat to probe tender, and here's the result:

lkavJxO.jpg

Not bad, but not as good as briskets I've done in my Performer or Hasty-Bake. I blame it on the meat itself, as it was Canada AA grade instead of AAA or Prime. Those two are very hard to find up here though, and when they're available they're big bucks ($10/lb+ !).

Last edited:
GQ9XW2Cl.jpg

Just got it on Friday and gonna break it in with a whole chicken this afternoon!

(Don't worry, I'll move it to the ground before firing it up)

Welcome and congrats on the new PBJ! At least it sure looks to be a Junior.

Hey guys, long time no post. Yesterday I did my first brisket in my PBC. Rubbed with Pit Happens rub and at 160 wrapped in butcher paper with Kosmos Q brisket mop.

Took it to 204 at the thickest point in the flat to probe tender, and here's the result:

lkavJxO.jpg

Not bad, but not as good as briskets I've done in my Performer or Hasty-Bake. I blame it on the meat itself, as it was Canada AA grade instead of AAA or Prime. Those two are very hard to find up here though, and when they're available they're big bucks ($10/lb+ !).

Too bad it wasn’t the home run you were lookin for but still looks good!

Here we go! Free range chicken from Kroger:

62lCrBTl.jpg

First hang!

VHiuV2Xl.jpg

Chugging away

aUsBEyfl.jpg

Only one mild snafu so far: I tried to lower my chimney down into the barrel, and that did not work. The most of the lit coals missed the container, so I had to pull it out and grab the lit coals (luckily my wife got me really good grill gloves!). I'm smoking it with one chuck of apple wood, and I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Last edited:
Hey everybody, new to the forums and PBC, this is my second smoke. I found these little turkey breasts at my grocer. First time ever smoking turkey. Came out pretty good!

kAX5hkyl.jpg

IpGvuSAl.jpg

Thinking about longer cooks for a brisket , has anyone experimented with how they space out the lit coals. I was thinking something like the image below would keep temps a little lower and extend the cooking time. (Red would be lit coals, black unlit)
zH8WJpbl.jpg

Last edited:
Here we go! Free range chicken from Kroger:

62lCrBTl.jpg

First hang!

VHiuV2Xl.jpg

Chugging away

aUsBEyfl.jpg

Only one mild snafu so far: I tried to lower my chimney down into the barrel, and that did not work. The most of the lit coals missed the container, so I had to pull it out and grab the lit coals (luckily my wife got me really good grill gloves!). I'm smoking it with one chuck of apple wood, and I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Way to go, Benuski! I think all of us have had that misstep at one time or another. One of the smaller chimneys is a worthy investment. Makes dumping coals easier and also can serve as a measuring cup for the lit coals. Looking forward to results

Back