What's Your Favorite SPG?

My AP seasoning at work is 1c table salt, 1/2c fine grind pepper, 1/4c garlic. I will season chicken with this.

Brisket & beef ribs I will do 50/50 kosher, coarse ground black, & sprinkle garlic over the top.

Pork ribs and pork butts get 1c kosher, 1/2c coarse ground black, & sprinkle garlic if I'm using it.

I emailed Malcom Reed for his ratio, and he gave me:

1 C salt
1/2 C granulated garlic
1/4 C ground black pepper

for the basic recipe. It's worked well for me, if it's maybe a bit too salty. Next batch, I might do 3/4 C salt.

That sounds EXACTLY like a ratio I'd wanna use! Good stuff.

Honestly I just thought I was using common sense. I wasn't aware of the marketing of SPG with other ingredients...and still calling it SPG. It's truly my fault for being a dummy here.

You're not a dummy. My wording wasn't too precise. I'm just havin some fun :) Thanks for sharing your ratios! Your "at work" mix is in exactly the same parts as Malcom Reed's (above) except with the garlic and pepper switched. I'll have to try both!

Been contemplating on the Q salt. Does it resemble any other product? So many of the Canadian steak rubs are too similar. Hate to add another bottle of rub that is similar to one

I already have.

I expect you won’t find anything like our seasonings on the market.

Q-Salt is no exception ;)

I emailed Malcom Reed for his ratio, and he gave me:

1 C salt
1/2 C granulated garlic
1/4 C ground black pepper

for the basic recipe. It's worked well for me, if it's maybe a bit too salty. Next batch, I might do 3/4 C salt.
Is that Kosher salt or just iodized table salt?

I make my own. Good quality coarse sea salt, course black pepper, about 60/40 in favor of BP. Add good quality granulated garlic, about 1 to 8. I also add some cayenne and a little celery seed.

Imma be honest & plead ignorance here. I seriously had no idea there was an entire segment of rubs that people called SPG. Whenever I have ever heard anyone talk about SPG, or whenever I have said SPG, it has literally ONLY meant salt, pepper, and garlic.

I guess I learned something today. Thanks for that!

I think ratio plays a part, though.

a+1 for Killer Hoggs AP rub for a base layer of flavor. From there out, its whatever I feel like that day. I do liking keeping it simple though. Simple wins.

Back