Another Tejas 2040 Refub...

billbek

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Oops! That was supposed to be titled ...2040 Refurb...
My first post here other than in the Cattlecall/Intro forum.

I have been lurking here for as long as I have had my BGE, picking up hints and tips from the membership. Always having the itch to have a stickburner, I was surprised to find one just north of the city for what I considered a very reasonable price on the Canadian version of Craigslist, Kijiji.

Trying to post some photos here and it is a little different than I am used to so bear with me as I try to figure this out!

aBbWwz3

Last edited:
Might as well do a couple of first cook photos while I am at it.
What do you throw on for a first run on a new cooker? Baby backs.... 6 racks for the first time out.
xbZWSbU.jpg

ezymvS8.jpg

Admittedly, I fussed with the fire too much, and need to find a good supplier for splits up here. Seems like apple and cherry are easy to get but some of the hardwoods are not easy to come by in western Canada.

That is really impressive. So cool to bring that girl back to life. Looks like new!

Ribs look excellent as well

The cleanup was a fair amount of work on the cook chamber but the pitted rust on the exterior of the firebox was a bit of a bear to remove. Used some rust remover and covered in a good high temp paint.
Will see how it holds up. Have a new cover coming but would really like one of the ones from Tejas Smokers that is made to fit. Maybe some hints for Christmas to the family...

BK,,,,ur rockin’ that ole girl,,,,,
Great cook toooo

Thanks! Have a brisket and a butt in the freezer begging to be cooked and found some back ribs on sale again this week!

I want my baby back baby back baby back ribs.....

Nice job! I refurbished a Tejas 20 Deluxe a couple of years ago. Ended up selling it to get a bigger smoker. I really wish I could have it back, I loved that smoker!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Wow, great job on the refurb! welcome to the brethren, it's a great place to be with an awesome community! Thanks for sharing with us.

Nice job! I refurbished a Tejas 20 Deluxe a couple of years ago. Ended up selling it to get a bigger smoker. I really wish I could have it back, I loved that smoker!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I read your thread on your refurb before I went out to buy this one!
Cheers!

Wow, great job on the refurb! welcome to the brethren, it's a great place to be with an awesome community! Thanks for sharing with us.
Thanks! I think I have been stealing great information from here for almost all of the 10 years I have had my BGE.

Back