Peruvian Chicken with Green Sauce

robert-r

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
This is the 4th time I've cooked this recipe. We love it at our house.

The rub.

RSGup1Z.jpg

Bird goes for a spin in the 18.5. Apple and cherry for smoke. KBB for fire.

ecAytz0.jpg

Ready to pull. The breast measures 170* internal temp.

c8k1FZd.jpg

Time to eat!

eSXQkVa.jpg

Delish.

A few changes for this cook: am still horsing around with the Hunsaker firebasket clone, checking out the Meater and cooked at 350* vs 450*.

I'm starting to like the firebasket. The grease dripping off the chicken burning on the diffuser gives the meat a great flavor.

One issue with using the Meater is that I still have to have a probe to monitor pit temp until the meat is placed in the cooker. Not a problem, just never thought about it before.
For some reason the Meater was seeing pit temp 30* or so below what the probe (Thermoworks Smoke) was registering. Possibly because it rotates with the chicken and is shielded from bottom heat 1/2 the time? Dunno. I really like the range of the Meater when linked to wifi. I can watch TV while dinner is cooking on the other side of the house - about 3 rooms away. It also updates the eta of the meat as the cook progresses which is a nice feature.

Cooked at 350* this time. Last cook (undocumented) was 450 - 500* and the skin became a little too carbonato. 350* sure increases cooking time. The skin was not crisp but it wasn't rubbery, either. The meat sure was juicy & tender. Next time, will go for 400*.

recipe:

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/peruvian-style-spit-roasted-chicken-green-sauce/

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/green-sauce/

Looks fantastic Robert, I really like the Vortex Fire Basket.

I haven't used that recipe, but serious eats has one similar. I'll put that green sauce on everything for the next week until I use it up. It's SO good.

I haven't used that recipe, but serious eats has one similar. I'll put that green sauce on everything for the next week until I use it up. It's SO good.

X2 on the sauce. Next time, I'm going to include the seeds from one of the jalapenos when I make it. Could be kicked up a bit.

Same here. We use a different recipe, but who cares...it's some good stuff. And like the others...that green sauce will make your shoe sole taste good.

Delicious looking plate, thanks for the info.
Peruvian chicken take outs are taking over near me.

Looks great. I love to use his international recipes from his book, Planet Barbecue, so I'll definitely give this a try.

Back