Natural gas connection

BisonStew

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys, haven't been in for awhile, little kids keeping us busy.

We did some renos last fall so the contactor had to disconnect the gas line. I've had this grill for about 7 years and obviously don't connect/disconnect too often. I had to re-connect it today but it would not lock in. I'm thinking a piece is missing. I've attached photos, manual wasn't super helpful although it does look like something is amiss. I remember that I had to push up on the piece under the valve and stick in the hose but it won't lock in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1558917052265.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1558917052265.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 211
I have one close to that and sometimes item B (your PIC)gets stuck in the release position because of debris.Try pulling item B down and up again to loosen it up to see if that frees it up.

Sounds like the locking balls are stuck open. Part “B” should pull all the way forward letting the bass lock onto part “C”. Just work “B” back and forth to try and free the balls.

Those are handy,until they fail.The main reason I like threaded male to female gas connections.

Thanks, I'll try to loosen it tomorrow. I have a brand new extra "B" which I tried (uninstalled), I had the same problem but finally got it to catch. I'll install the new one if I can't get the current one to click in.

Spray with some WD-40 to loosen up the balls. I have those types of connectors on my water hoses an on outdoor water spigots. Sometimes afte sitting over winter, they do not want to lock when re-attaching the hose.

Robert

You've got all the parts, WD-40 it and work it on and off until it locks.
Do not forget to mix up some soapy water to brush around all connections looking for bubbles.
Ed

Thanks guys, WD-40 would have probably done the job but I just tried giggling it up and down like the first few posters suggested and I got it in on the first shot. It didn't help that it's right behind the AC unit.

I hate it when my balls get sticky.
But a bit of wiggly jiggly and everything usually works fine.
Sometimes all it takes it a little exercise to get your balls working fine again.
I have two of these connectors at my outdoor "kitchen". One for the Que, and one for my crab boiling pot.
Dust on your balls can make them hard to exercise. :becky:

Thanks guys, WD-40 would have probably done the job but I just tried giggling it up and down like the first few posters suggested and I got it in on the first shot. It didn't help that it's right behind the AC unit.

OK, so much for that, I thought it caught but it didn't. Back to square one. BTW, isn't spraying WD-40 on a gas connection a bad idea?

You can use any food grade oil to lubricate it with. I'd also see if the ball on the end of part C is pushing in. I'd get a piece of wood and push against it to see if it gives.

You can use any food grade oil to lubricate it with. I'd also see if the ball on the end of part C is pushing in. I'd get a piece of wood and push against it to see if it gives.

Part C is the end of the hose, it's supposed to have a ball?

On my hydraulic connectors it does. If yours doesn't I would guess that is normal.

Hydraulic hoses have a ball to keep the fluid in the hoses, a gas line that transports vapor won’t have a ball. I would agree that the female side (side with the collar that you slide up and down) sounds like the balls that retain the male side aren’t locking in place. When you slide the collar up as if youre going to push in the male side, if you let go does the collar spring back down towards the bottom? Ive had air hoses where the the collar doesnt stay in place and the male side can slide right back out.

I used to be good at this game when I worked in a hardware store, but it's been a few years. Spiders love hose ends of all kinds
Usually, fidgeting and maybe some compressed air was all it took to get the collar moving. It might take more force to push them together than you expect

When you slide the collar up as if youre going to push in the male side, if you let go does the collar spring back down towards the bottom? Ive had air hoses where the the collar doesnt stay in place and the male side can slide right back out.

I believe it springs back down, I'll check it tonight. It's supposed to stay in place?

No it should spring back down. I’d give it a couple good whacks with a hammer after spraying down with WD-40. Then slide the collar back, make sure the male end is fully seated, and while you’re holding it in make sure the collar slides back down. if it doesn’t lock in place then you need a new female coupler.

If I were to spray anything in there, I'd stick to teflon dry lube so it doesn't just sponge up dust and gum up again lateron

Replace both ends that you know couple. Could be you have too much positive pressure on one side of the fitting that's not allowing it to seat and lock fully. Good Luck and be careful.

Back