• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

DRY AGING EXPERIMENT: Beef Rib Roast VS. NY Strip Roast: Day 1 of ???

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've wanted to do a dry aged rib roast forever, and finally decided to take the plunge thanks to some Christmas cash :)

And it's going to be done in style - a full-on 13.02 LB bone-in rib roast vs 11.60 LB boneless NY Strip Roast! Into the UMAIDry bags this afternoon, now the long wait begins.....until January 26 at earliest (35 days).

Planning to do a series of comparison videos from this experiment for my YouTube channel (link is below in my signature if you're interested). Probably something like:

Part 1: Setting up the experiment and how to dry age

Part 2: Head-to-head taste test of the roasts on my LSG offset using about half of each roast (6-8 LBS). Smoke to 110 and then throw on the firebox to sear to 125-130.

Part 3: Head-to-head taste test of steaks cut from each of the remaining roasts (two inches thick, baby!). Reverse sear.

If you've got any input or ideas let me know. Can't wait to get this experiment EXPERIMENTED! :clap2: :clap:

Last edited:
Looking good.
When it's time for the testing im available for an unbiased opinion.

How can you not trust the words of someone that looks like Abe Lincoln.
Ed

Uh oh.....you'll be disappointed to know that I shaved the whole thing last night! Does it count that I still had it when I started dry aging the meat???

Only advice: don't touch or move those bags now that they're in the fridge. Looking forward to your results. 35 days is a good choice BTW!

Awesome! Thanks for the input. Have you had or seen a bad experience with this? I'm guessing a puncture or something? I'm definitely hoping to just let them be. As far as time, I'm hoping that proves to be a good length. It seems some guys do as little as 21 days and some go 42 or longer. I wasn't sure what would be best but thought 35 sounded like a happy medium. Please let me know what your thoughts are on those shorter and longer times.

If you never had aged beef before, 30 days is a good starting point. I personally feel anything under 30 days is ehh. I like 30 plus days, never had past 50 though.

35 is a nice compromise. I've only done between that and 40 so far. I'll be trying longer.

Moving the bags around breaks the bond between the bag and the meat, which where a lot of the enzymatic action is happening. Note though that you only need 80% contact to have it work. So not point in fussing with it.

Forgot to update, sorry everyone! Ended up at 49 days and it was really good! First two videos are up at my channel, third one goes live premiere at 11 AM CST Saturday morning, March 2.

Basic takeaways:

1) I still favor ribeyes, though the NY strip was insanely good.
2) There was not a very strong "funk" or "cheesy" essence to the NY strip, and none at all to the prime rib. The main benefit was tenderness and juiciness.
3) While I am definitely a steak-over-prime rib guy, the prime rib/NY strip roast was at least twice as delicious as the ribeye/NY strip steaks.
4) Next time, I want to try open-air dry aging with no bags to see if I can get a better funk. I was expecting at least some after 49 days.

Thanks for following this process!

You stole my heart at 0% Vegetarian.

A friend bought me that from some wayside grill house in North Dakota. It's literally the most comfortable t-shirt I've ever owned! The humor is just a bonus :)

He stole my heart with that fridge!

4 college aged kids have left my fridge looking like a war zone on a daily basis

Ha :) We'll be at that stage too soon!

Back