What's the best bbq thermometer

patriotn11

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm about to order a new WSM 22" and soon a 22" Weber PERFORMER kettle, I have a smoker with firebox from acadamy, got a good deal cause it had a few blemishes, couldn't walk away, lol.

Any way the big smoker seems a lot of tending to and I don't mind, but I had the 2 above years ago and loved them, now I want to try again. I finally almost kinda sorta, have my wife convinced to get the 2 even though I have the big smoker. I guess I'm like a kid in a candy store, I wants them all, lol.

Any hoot, these are some of the temps at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1247528...1055398,n:!1063498,n:284507,n:289754,n:289807

Any help at all, please respond what the best might be, cause I respect all you Kings in here,

PS one day I to will wear the BBQ Crown! I recon I'm getting old because I seem to like BBQ'n as my hobby and it don't yell back like the wife!

Happy Smoking

Michael

San Antonio TEXAS.

You'll hear a variety of responses, but a lot of us use the Maverick Redicheck. It's range can be limited, but overall a decent thermometer. Has two probes, one for the smoker and one for the meat, and you can set upper and lower alarm limits for each. Also has a remote wireless receiver.

41XV8Q7N89L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I use the Redi-Check and found foil wrapping the probe leads will greatly extend thier life .. especially at higher temp cooks.:icon_cool

You'll hear a variety of responses, but a lot of us use the Maverick Redicheck. It's range can be limited, but overall a decent thermometer. Has two probes, one for the smoker and one for the meat, and you can set upper and lower alarm limits for each. Also has a remote wireless receiver.

41XV8Q7N89L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Hey....what's one of them run ya, Saiko?
Also....is the wire to the probe(s) braided metal or does it have the plastic sheathing?

Guess I could "google" huh?

L-A-Z-Y this morning....

I bought a remote (wireless) thermometer called Smart BBQ for $16 at Wally World, imported by JLR Gear (www.jlrgear.com). Works great.
* Programmable
* Built in Timer
* Stainless Steel Probe
* 8 Meat Selections
* 5 Taste Settings
* Built in LED flashlight
* Beeps when Ready
* Up to 100ft Range
* Digital LCD Readout
* Handheld Receiver with Built in Timer
* Base Transmitter with Receiver Cradle

Sears has a better discription and picture:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07115216000P?vName=Outdoor%20Living&cName=Grills&OutdoorCooking&sName=Barbecue%20Tools&psid=SHOPZILLA01&sid=IDx20070921x00003c

SmartBBQthermometer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The one with the larger display is the remote sensor. When on it shows you food and cooker temps at the same time. The one with the smaller display is the one the probes plug in to. It alternates displaying between food and cooker temp.

Long curved probe is for meat, short, straight one goes into a clamp (included) that fits on the grill grate to show cooker temp.

Kooool.....thanks.
BTW: Is that photo of 2 different thermos, or is one photo of some sort of cover? Couldn't tell by your Amazon link either......? :confused: Just curious.

OK......not hijacking....sorry...........:mrgreen:

Truer words were never spoken. Mods lock the thread before it gets out of hand.

Norcoredneck,

Thanks for your help and every one in here, I hope I didn't cause a lynching, lol

You guys are the best and the reason I got back into BBQ'n, after all these years I have lit the flame once again and if it worn t for folks like in here, I'd be lost. About the Thermometer, well I don't want to sound dumb, but I never used one cause back then when I was a drunk, I guessed by how many beers I had and now well sense I quit drinking well I have to do it sober, lol I know beer and BBQ go hand in hand but I couldn't control it and for the family's sake and mine, well I gave it up, any way, all of you are great and I'm proud to be in your forum and BBQ family.,

Norcoredneck, just remember Pace Picante sauce don't come from New York so, get a rope, :oops: LOL

Michael

Welcome, and from your post on drinking I see you make wise decisions, so I know you will end up with a BLUE Thermapen. Don't be misled by people trying to get you to purchase inferior colors such as Red, orange and such.

Your Right Bud

Norcoredneck,

As soon as I saw your post, Amazon got my business, I thought that was the BLUE thermapen, if not is this what you meant

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Super-Fast-Thermapen-Thermometer-Thermoworks/dp/B0018SAKBC if not please link it in a reply from Amazon.com

I can cancel the maverick, I always like to get the best for the money, if the BLUE ones better or will the one I bought I below as good :eek:

This is what I ordered,

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...c_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

I had to tell my wife we can check our temps when we are sick with it, to justify the purchuse, sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh,

mums the word :icon_smil

Is there actually a difference in function determined by the color of the case for some reason or is this just a joke I'm not getting?

Just to clarify a couple of things: The maverick thermometers and the colored Thermapens are two different things. The maverick thermometers are basically a transmitter with two probes. One probe you stick in the meat, the other probe you use to monitor the temperature at your smoker grate. This gets transmitted to a remote receiver that you can use to monitor your smoker/meat temperatures remotely.

The Thermapen is a digital thermometer you stick in the meat to check internal temps. It doesn't stay in the smoker like a maverick, it's something you use to instantly check the temperature of your food, then remove it. If you watch Good Eats on the Food Network, it's the probe that Alton Brown uses all the time on his show. Thermapens are expensive, but they have a VERY fast response time (usually 3-4 seconds). Most probes will just crawl up, and you have to sit there and wait for them to eventually stabilize.

The best temperature arsenal is to have both, you can use the maverick thermometers to remotely monitor your smoker and meat temps, and the Thermapen when you want to quickly check another part of the meat, or in instances when you don't need the maverick and just want a quick temp (like a steak, or when grilling fish).

The whole color thing with Thermapens is just an internal joke. They come in a variety of colors, and the Brethren like to joke around that their color is best. It is just the casing color and has no effect on the accuracy.

Thermopen website is here: http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/tpen_home.html

If I had to choose between the two for BBQ, I'd take the maverick, since it stays in the smoker and you can monitor remotely. For my every day cooking in the kitchen and outdoor grilling, the Thermapen is king.

Hope this clears some things up.

Just to clarify a couple of things: The maverick thermometers and the colored Thermapens are two different things. The maverick thermometers are basically a transmitter with two probes. One probe you stick in the meat, the other probe you use to monitor the temperature at your smoker grate. This gets transmitted to a remote receiver that you can use to monitor your smoker/meat temperatures remotely.

The Thermapen is a digital thermometer you stick in the meat to check internal temps. It doesn't stay in the smoker like a maverick, it's something you use to instantly check the temperature of your food, then remove it. If you watch Good Eats on the Food Network, it's the probe that Alton Brown uses all the time on his show. Thermapens are expensive, but they have a VERY fast response time (usually 3-4 seconds). Most probes will just crawl up, and you have to sit there and wait for them to eventually stabilize.

The best temperature arsenal is to have both, you can use the maverick thermometers to remotely monitor your smoker and meat temps, and the Thermapen when you want to quickly check another part of the meat, or in instances when you don't need the maverick and just want a quick temp (like a steak, or when grilling fish).

The whole color thing with Thermapens is just an internal joke. They come in a variety of colors, and the Brethren like to joke around that their color is best. It is just the casing color and has no effect on the accuracy.

Thermopen website is here: http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/tpen_home.html

Hope this clears some things up.

Word!

Back