Can we give up on the slow n sear argument already???

I just watched the video. I agree the guy is major annoying the first 5 minutes of the video. But I watched the whole thing. He's right you don't need SnS. I never saw the need for one just like I never saw the need for Vortex either. Weber charcoal basket is both SnS and Vortex in one and cost $15.

I just watched the video. I agree the guy is major annoying the first 5 minutes of the video. But I watched the whole thing. He's right you don't need SnS. I never saw the need for one just like I never saw the need for Vortex either. Weber charcoal basket is both SnS and Vortex in one and cost $15.

Me too.

His dancing around in front of the camera is annoying. He also has a bit too much animosity toward Dave, who must've really made Meathead mad, somehow. I don't get all that.

But he's also dead right and spot on, SnS is a gimmick that I'm glad I never bought, cuz I could never see how it did anything for me.

Sadly, against my better judgement, I did purchase a vortex and regret it.

I have been wanting to grab one just can't decide if I want it for the 26" or the summit. I surely can't afford 2

I have been wanting to grab one just can't decide if I want it for the 26" or the summit. I surely can't afford 2
There's always the original, from 2008.:becky:
Ua6kOP-TiN2Pn5ruH5t0zfFXfDuIT2Cr-x2DLaVLaZM=w285-h212-p-no

Zs1IaO5OwRPsmNTIdjFEfv8v8qhMx0eeuyOhJoP6XDk=w276-h207-p-no

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165643

Me too.

His dancing around in front of the camera is annoying. He also has a bit too much animosity toward Dave, who must've really made Meathead mad, somehow. I don't get all that.

But he's also dead right and spot on, SnS is a gimmick that I'm glad I never bought, cuz I could never see how it did anything for me.

Sadly, against my better judgement, I did purchase a vortex and regret it.

More posts from people who have never used one. You know what they say about opinions; even uninformed ones.

More posts from people who have never used one. You know what they say about opinions; even uninformed ones.

This of course begs the question...is it possible to make an “informed” decision without actually trying the product?

Can I rely on the reporting of Consumer Reports about any given product to know that a given product sucks, or must I purchase one myself to find out “for sure” and only then be able to comment on it?

Do I have to actually purchase and use a Weber grill to know that it’s really an awesome product, or can I rely on the testimony of others to make an “informed” opinion and comment on it myself?

Folks are quick to point out when someone hasn’t used or owns a product that they’ve voiced an opinion on, but is actual usage or ownership required in order to make an “informed” opinion?

Of course there’s always exception to every rule, but I’m speaking in the general sense here...

Last edited:
And getting back to the point of the OP.....I agree. Who gives a rip one way or the other if someone likes the SnS or doesn’t? Not like someone is suggesting boilng ribs. Settle down, Skippy...

I tried watching the video, could take all of about 5 minutes and went on to something more worthy of my time. The guy obviously had an axe to grind, that was evident and I sure as heck wasn't going to get an unbiased opinion. Needless to say I won't be subscribing to his channel or watching any more of his videos. If his YouTube objective is to put out annoying content, he succeeded.

I was looking for tips and tricks, honest opinions, etc. since I'd just purchased the SnS Charcoal Basket for the 18" Kettle I restored. This model is a lot cheaper ($40) than the larger one and was worth the cost. Would I have purchased the SnS 2.0 at $125? Probably not, unless I found that grilling on the Weber was super difficult and I needed a new toy.

My opinion of the SnS CB? Worth the $40. I've only got one cook on it thus far, but it makes setting up low and slow a lot easier than without. Obviously what I bought and what's being battered about on the internet are two similar products, but at far different price points.

-lunchman

I made my own for my 26 kettle. I added some expanded metal later on. Works great. Sorry about the size of the picture.

v5xscKK.jpg

I'll spend my money on something else. But who am I to tell anyone how to spend or not spend theirs? Buy it, don't buy it... whatever makes you happy. If you ask my opinion then that's different.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I used the SnS tonight to cook up some burgers. I'm more of a Vortex guy but when i bought a Weber table off a guy this past spring he included the SnS for free and to be honest I wasnt sure what it was. Did a google and wow i got a steal of a deal. I have used it a handful of times and its a nice addition to my grills. Now I pause to think should I vortex or SnS?? Good problems to have.

What does annoy me and not to piss off the DYI crowd but are the "dog bowl" vortex people. All over the Vortex/Weber facebook groups; gets annoying. I mean just pay the $38ish for the medium vortex and be done with it. Bah. To each their own. It's all bbq. :)

I have watched a few of his videos. They are annoying.

Man, to each his own. I have a SNSXL in my 26.75 I bought used that is permanently parked there. I have a custom large basket I made out of 2 smaller baskets in my flat top 26. You know what? They both work well. The real value of the slow and sear is the indirect side. I use mine like an oven and it works like a charm. You could do the same with Weber baskets and foil wrapped bricks/Fire bricks.

I think that guy on YouTube should get off his high horse and start making better food.

All of these threads and youtube videos coming out are down right cringe-worthy. They are all just saying the same thing over and over again, yes we know the slow n sear is expensive, yes we know you can do the same thing with a fire brick and a water pan, yes we know you can get longer burn time without it, yes we know all of it.
It doesn't make the slow n sear a bad product, lots of people enjoy them. So what? You certainly don't need one to smoke on a kettle, or sear a steak. But you also don't even need a grill for either of those. Have you tried cooking in a trash can?? Hell, have you tried cooking in a hole in the ground??? You don't need a grill, but it certainly helps. Similarly, you don't need a slow n sear and you shouldn't care if people decide to spend the money on one.
Conversely, the videos that come out in favor of the product are just as bad. Why do they all have to be comparisons? Can you just show us how they work? And what applications they shine in and not make a pissing competition out of it? Somebody is always going to find a better or cheaper tool.
End. Rant.

And yet you posted this providing fuel to the trolls. :loco:

I've watched a couple of his videos. A little painful to watch with all the chopped up editing. He seems to go after just about every product offered by ABC. You know, just do a review (pluses and minuses) and let it be known that there is this way and other ways to do this. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that most people who have considered buying some of their products have also seen other ways to do it already (snake, other ways to sear, etc.).

This guy seems to epitomize that it's easier to knock someone else's product than to come up with your own.

Love my SNS. I use old school baskets in my 99 redhead and the SnS in my performer. Versatile and easy to use tool.

I made my own for my 26 kettle. I added some expanded metal later on. Works great. Sorry about the size of the picture.

v5xscKK.jpg
Looks a lot like the one I made many years ago. Got tired of storing it and pitched it.

Back