Last cook of vacation, with pron

S

singingwolf

You know, I think I started my vacation with ribs... guess it's only fitting that I end it with em too.

Spares were on sale, so I grabbed two packages (other up in the freezer) and I didn't even look at the poundage.

100_0911.jpg

Just a little bit bigger than usual for us.

100_0913.jpg

I think I'd have a household rebellion if I did any more "trimming" than pulling off the membrane and cutting the rack in half so it'll fit in the Med BGE.

100_0915.jpg

Slathered up and ready for plastic wrap and an overnight rest in the fridge. First time I went with a full out slather instead of a dry rub and there was a definite difference in flavor absorption. Slather was my "toss together" dry rub mixed with enough yellow mustard to make a goopy paste (no recipe for my rub, I just dump stuff into a container until it looks/tastes right...and since the container is constantly getting topped off....)

100_0921.jpg

Onto the egg, using a fist size chunk of guava wood for the smoke and a dome temp of 275. Got a fatty tucked over on the side - cause I knew I was gonna want lunch before the ribs are done. (Jimmy Dean maple - no stuffing, no rub.)

Quick interruption to enjoy fatty goodness...

100_0925.jpg

100_0927.jpg

Mmmmm.... fatty goodness.....

now, back to the main cook....

100_0928.jpg

Went to test the ribs about 4 1/2 - 5 hours into the cook. One of the bone ends got caught in the rack and ripped most of the way out. I figured they were done. :icon_blush:

100_0929.jpg

Ribs come off...

100_0930.jpg

corn goes on (platesetter gets removed about 5 minutes in...)

100_0932.jpg

corn comes off....

100_0935.jpg

and goes onto the plate along with the stars of the show and a little cucumber salad.

Very nice! And thanks for supporting the Society for the Preservation of Fatty Purity!

Super looking ribs. I am going to have to try the mustard rub.

Mom and hubby both winced when I added the mustard to the rub (hubby - because I was using "his" plain yellow mustard and Mom - doesn't care for mustard much, and has a pretty low opinion of the plain yellow stuff on anything other than hotdogs), but it does not have a mustard flavor when done and I think the vinegar in it helps tenderize.

That there is some great looking grub there, I also like a Mustard rub on my pork.

And the verdict is in... hubby said it was good, but he wasn't that hungry (he fixed himself a fatty sammich about an hour before ribs came off the egg) and Mom said best ribs yet. Don't think I'm ever going to go back to using a dry rub on em again.

Back