• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cherry with Whole Hog?

bluegrass smoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I got a big cook coming up and wanted to use cherry but I have heard it can be overpowering. Thoughts?
thanks@

I don't know how overpowering it could be for a long cook but, the cherry will
give it some beautiful color.
Mix it up with some oak and pecan.

I don't know how overpowering it could be for a long cook but, the cherry will
give it some beautiful color.
Mix it up with some oak and pecan.

I got a little pecan left over so ill use that up
I got a ton of Red Oak but its only been cut down for about a month
Can I "pre-heat" it around the edge of the firepit and cook that Sap out?

Cherry, overpowering? Maybe if its green. Here is 12 hours of nothing but cherry. Excellent flavor.
fdf9cf999f89c5a2664a674d44f5fc0b.jpg

a3c0f7726e23c68cac91fff87583bc69.jpg

0939577ac2900250046b6554d041161a.jpg

That much cherry plus the rest of the pickup bed load would be oak $100 delivered and stacked whatcha think!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well seasoned cherry has a very mild smoke.

I am at the bottom of a 1/2 cord I bought last fall. Almost time to reload.

I use Cherry for long cooks all the time - there are no issues with it. I've used apple, cherry, hickory, pecan, oak, and mesquite and only mesquite can cause problems.

Same here - I've used cherry for pork many times. It is a mild smoke that gives the meat a wonderful color. But be aware that cherry doesn't produce as much heat as oak or hickory, and the coals don't last very long once the flaming stage is over. So you might want to mix in something harder/denser. Personally, I'd mix in sugar maple (or another species of hard maple) if you can get it. It is also a mild wood that won't overwhelm the color you get from the cherry. If you mix oak with the cherry, it will cover up the nice red color.

But I definitely would not use month old red oak. You'll get nothing but hissing and thick clouds of acrid smoke.

Same here - I've used cherry for pork many times. It is a mild smoke that gives the meat a wonderful color. But be aware that cherry doesn't produce as much heat as oak or hickory, and the coals don't last very long once the flaming stage is over. So you might want to mix in something harder/denser. Personally, I'd mix in sugar maple (or another species of hard maple) if you can get it. It is also a mild wood that won't overwhelm the color you get from the cherry. If you mix oak with the cherry, it will cover up the nice red color.

But I definitely would not use month old red oak. You'll get nothing but hissing and thick clouds of acrid smoke.

He said he had some maple but I didn’t think anything about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back