Cooking with hackberry

TuscaloosaQ

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of cooking with hackberry... I am fixing to cut a very large tree down...

Never even heard of it so I'm no help here.

But in my experience berry trees are a good wood to cook with. I've used mulberry before and was quite happy with it

Hackberry is a fairly common tree in the south. If it was good to cook with I would think folks would be using it but I've never heard of that. My customers saw it and it is used for interior parts of stuffed furniture.

From
http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downloads_files/SmokingFlavorChart.pdf
"Avocado, Bay, Carrotwood, Kiawe, Madrone, Manzanita, Guava, Olive, Beech, Butternut, Fig, Gum, Chestnut, Hackberry, Pimiento, Persimmon,
and willow. The ornamental varieties of fruit trees (i.e. pear, cherry, apple, etc.) are also suitable for smoking."
It's a member of the hemp or Cannabis family, so if you try it, don't inhale.

I like hackberry. It's one of the few woods I have around here. It's best when seasoned, I let it go for 9 months to a year.
Good luck with it Paul!

I like hackberry. It's one of the few woods I have around here. It's best when seasoned, I let it go for 9 months to a year.
Good luck with it Paul!

Thx Jen shoot girl if it is good for you then i am in... I have a huge hackberry and water oak tree to cut behind our shop... Me and Tyler have decided tobuild a 45x70 shop behind our current shop... He was going to try and buy a place... But i told him i thought it was a bad idea.. Seen to many people jump the gun and fail... I told him build one now... That will virtually be paid for... And put the money in his pocket.... He saw the light... So i will have enough wood for a while... Especially since i only own a webber kettle..... That is sad.. We build cookers and i am down to a kettle... But when the new place is done.. Hopefully 2 months.. Then i can start my build... As i find time....

Thx everyone for the links and comments.. If i am still around in 2 years at least you know the hackberry did not make me bite tha dust

Thx Jen shoot girl if it is good for you then i am in... I have a huge hackberry and water oak tree to cut behind our shop... Me and Tyler have decided tobuild a 45x70 shop behind our current shop... He was going to try and buy a place... But i told him i thought it was a bad idea.. Seen to many people jump the gun and fail... I told him build one now... That will virtually be paid for... And put the money in his pocket.... He saw the light... So i will have enough wood for a while... Especially since i only own a webber kettle..... That is sad.. We build cookers and i am down to a kettle... But when the new place is done.. Hopefully 2 months.. Then i can start my build... As i find time....

Thx everyone for the links and comments.. If i am still around in 2 years at least you know the hackberry did not make me bite tha dust

Smart thinking.

Back