idk, this set up worked this cook! ive never had a better bird. now time to enjoy my chicken and noodles. might try the enchiladas tomorrow night hmmm.....
Hey If I didn't have to drive across the state I'd swing by for the enchiladas...sounds GOOD!

ive never waitied to put my meat on after i dump my hot coals....ive never had an issue with it.... but i have changed over to kingsford competition for my cooks. i only use the blue bag for my starter coals (they seem to light faster than the comp) only time i wait for my cooker to warm up is if i use my kettle. which has been seriously lonely since i got black beauty. im debating using her for my meatloaf...i know i have to use her for my pizza. the pbc is too deep for me to get a good grab on the pizza.

ive never waitied to put my meat on after i dump my hot coals....ive never had an issue with it.... but i have changed over to kingsford competition for my cooks. i only use the blue bag for my starter coals (they seem to light faster than the comp) only time i wait for my cooker to warm up is if i use my kettle. which has been seriously lonely since i got black beauty. im debating using her for my meatloaf...i know i have to use her for my pizza. the pbc is too deep for me to get a good grab on the pizza.

I use a 16 inch pizza crisper pan (the type with holes in the bottom) when I do pies in the PBC. Does not need preheating like a stone and does a great job on the crust. When it's time to pull it I put on heavy duty gloves and pull off the grate and pan and set on my kitchen stove. Since the coals are further away than with the Kettle much less chance of burning the crust and the toppings have time to heat up. I let the coals heat up pretty good before I put on the pizza. Does not get as hot as a ceramic cooker but we are happy with the flavor and crispy crust.

JMHO (I know Bob likes that) but no cook or conditions is going to be the same. Besides altitude you have different barometric pressures, outside temps, humidity, different types of meat and amounts of meat and even KBB can be serious crappy sometimes.

What works for someone in South Texas might not work for someone in Illinois etc...etc... Never a once size fits all solution for the best cook.

Set up a small hot fire, let it settle into thin smoke...If it takes 10-20 or 30 minutes then so be it, just don't rush it.

JMHO (I know Bob likes that) but no cook or conditions is going to be the same. Besides altitude you have different barometric pressures, outside temps, humidity, different types of meat and amounts of meat and even KBB can be serious crappy sometimes.

What works for someone in South Texas might not work for someone in Illinois etc...etc... Never a once size fits all solution for the best cook.

Set up a small hot fire, let it settle into thin smoke...If it takes 10-20 or 30 minutes then so be it, just don't rush it.

For anyone who is new to the PBC, your best bet at the start is to watch the videos on the PBC site and take advice from fellow Brethren such as Adams16, AClarke44, Thingfish and ssv3. These guys own PBCs, have done many successful cooks with it, and are not here to push their own opinions on a cooker they do not own.

Once you get the hang of it, feel free to try some of the suggestions of Fwismoker and others who are great cooks and like to experiment and try new things. I am serious about this. You need to establish a baseline by following the basic instructions before you experiment, or you are likely to get frustrated with your new purchase.

Another suggestion: If after doing all the above you still are having issues, call the Pit Barrel Cooker Company at 303-249-9069. I will be made fun of for this, but Noah and Amber are great to talk to and will help you figure out how to solve any problem you may be having.

By the way I am in no way affiliated with the Pit Barrel Cooker Company. I did not know about the unit until a couple of years ago when I read a review on Amazingribs.com. I am now a happy customer and like to spread the word.

This is true they are cool and helpful. i have spoken to amber a few time before i bought my pbc and after. they are very nice folks to deal with. i was worried about rustsbecause some of the inside came without coating. the internal pegs and the coal basket. they said once i cook on it it will get coated over with smoke and oils from cooking. havent had a problem since. this has truely been the best cooker for me to smoke on. i have figured out how to smoke on my kettle also but its far more finicky than the pbc is.

please no comments the the wsm army. the wsm would have been far more cumbersome for me and my chair to deal with. you may can do it better in the wsm but certainly not easier for me. i had a smoker like it (crappy one) that i had mess with the 3 parts and it was a pain in the ass to take it apart and put together while in my chair.

Another suggestion: If after doing all the above you still are having issues, call the Pit Barrel Cooker Company at 303-249-9069. I will be made fun of for this, but Noah and Amber are great to talk to and will help you figure out how to solve any problem you may be having.

By the way I am in no way affiliated with the Pit Barrel Cooker Company. I did not know about the unit until a couple of years ago when I read a review on Amazingribs.com. I am now a happy customer and like to spread the word.

I still want to do 9 racks of ribs at the same time.

Buy it, learn it- enjoy it- and load that sucker up. Seriously- fill 'er up!!!!

Just thought I'd provide some good reading for those thinking about getting a PBC and for the new owners. Great information from an expert in the BBQ, smoking, and grilling world.

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/equipment-reviews?q=smoker-pizza-oven/pit-barrel-cooker

I concur he's a bbq expert. Meathead has great info. Check out his articles on fire and smoke...great stuff. You might want to contact him because it might not apply to the PBC. Meathead likes the cooker but he didn't write the directions for the PBC so IDK. After reading his articles it makes me wonder how he starts up his PBC with the small hot fires he talks about in there....I assume Meathead owns one.

Here's his full article, i just put the portions down below about what we were talking about...such as small hot fire and letting the pit warm up. Again this might not apply to the PBC but since Andrew high lighted Meathead as source i thought it was applicable.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_wood.html

This one is applicable to charcoal

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_charcoal.html

Build a small hot fire. You want to see flame. Fires burning in the 650 to 750°F range in the hot spots burn off the impurities that can becreated in an incomplete secondary combustion. That means that you need a lot of oxygen so you want your exhaust vent open all the way. The hot air rising through the chimney will draw in air through the intake vent. You will probably want it open wide or close to it. Low smoldering wood creates dirty smoke

Allow the fire to get rolling and allow the pit to warm up. Start the fire well before the food goes on. Warm the walls of the cooker.When a recipe says "preheat" your cooker, do it. Adjust your airflow and get the temp, fire, and smoke stabilized. Be aware of the weather. It is harder to get blue smoke in cold, rainy, or windy weather.

Last edited:
I would not suggest doing anything to the intake after its set because the nut to get to the cooker is right infront of the coal basket and unless you have a fire proofs suit you are going to burn the hell out of yourself reaching down almost into the fire to fiddling with it. for best result (for me) i use the weber half sized chimney, get those flaming hot then dump. i burned myself a few times when i had rack of babyback fall and i had to go get em. and i had a wing fall and had to go get it. but i also had wood chunks in there and having the lid off too long you will have a column of flame firing up to attack you.

This one is applicable to charcoal

Build a small hot fire. You want to see flame. Fires burning in the 650 to 750°F range in the hot spots burn off the impurities that can becreated in an incomplete secondary combustion. That means that you need a lot of oxygen so you want your exhaust vent open all the way. The hot air rising through the chimney will draw in air through the intake vent. You will probably want it open wide or close to it. Low smoldering wood creates dirty smoke

Allow the fire to get rolling and allow the pit to warm up. Start the fire well before the food goes on. Warm the walls of the cooker.When a recipe says "preheat" your cooker, do it. Adjust your airflow and get the temp, fire, and smoke stabilized. Be aware of the weather. It is harder to get blue smoke in cold, rainy, or windy weather.

I would not suggest doing anything to the intake after its set because the nut to get to the cooker is right infront of the coal basket and unless you have a fire proofs suit you are going to burn the hell out of yourself reaching down almost into the fire to fiddling with it. for best result (for me) i use the weber half sized chimney, get those flaming hot then dump. i burned myself a few times when i had rack of babyback fall and i had to go get em. and i had a wing fall and had to go get it. but i also had wood chunks in there and having the lid off too long you will have a column of flame firing up to attack you.

You're in a challenging situation brother, try to stay safe for sure.

BTW I never asked you. Is there anyone around to give you a hand with the cookers if you get in a bind or do you have things pretty well in control?

i have things pretty well in control. most cookers i buy i research pretty heavy and if i can find somewhere with a store model i play around with it alot before i make a purchase. Ive been grilling 15 years ive been cooking 20 ive developed a system that works well for me. thats why i dont run with too many mods and such on my cookers to keep the possible point of failure to a minimum.

You're in a challenging situation brother, try to stay safe for sure.

BTW I never asked you. Is there anyone around to give you a hand with the cookers if you get in a bind or do you have things pretty well in control?

This is all in the charcoal article from the BBQ Expert Aclarke sighted. Since we cook on charcoal I thought this was interesting.

Meathead thought it was important enough to put this excerpt from Harry Soo.

We'll talk about the issues in a minute, but here's the bottom line: Harry Soo of Slap Yo Daddy BBQ, one of the top 10 competition teams year in and year out once told me "I buy whatever is on sale." Mike Wozniak of Quau, the 2010 Kansas City Barbeque Society Team of the Year and winner of scores of championships told me "Charcoal is for heat, not flavor. Wood is for flavor. I cook on whatever brand the competition sponsor is giving away for free."

Something else i thought was interesting is that Meathead prefers charcoal chimney....He's an expert so I'll follow his advice.

Here he talks about self lighting coals but it's the same concept as fluid.

...again here's the link to that.

Some folks say they can taste the additives in their food. I can't, and in a previous career I was a pretty well known wine taster and won several competitions. Self-igniting Match-Light charcoal, which has mineral spirits added to promote ignition, is a different story. Kingsford and government regulators say it is safe if you follow instructions, but I think they can taint the food. I don't use the stuff and I don't recommend it. Charcoal is easy to light with chimneys and I highly recommend them. Click the link to see how easy they are and what other charcoal lighting options are available.

And...Cook #2!

Huli-Huli chicken (recipe from here: http://briantissot.com/2015/05/25/bbq-with-aloha-huli-huli-chicken-using-a-pit-barrel-cooker/)

Quite possibly the best chicken I've ever had. :)

IMG_2407_zpsq3uzhfn6.jpg

IMG_2417_zpsqhbydsia.jpg

IMG_2421_zpsmu9kvrj6.jpg

a few picture from last night. ended up making chicken and noodles off the stove top

Attachments

• IMG_2626.jpg
    IMG_2626.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_2628.jpg
    IMG_2628.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_2630.jpg
    IMG_2630.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_2631.jpg
    IMG_2631.jpg