Not taking it personally. But you don't own a PBC and I just think its poor form to come into an Appreciation Thread for a product and explain everything that you think is wrong with it when you've never cooked on it. But I've come to realize poor form or not it isn't gonna stop you.
I've said it before I don't know the science behind it but I do understand the hot fire concept. I'm just saying I cook on the PBC quite a bit and have always had great results. I also get just as hot of a fire by pouring the coals in the way it's recommended from the manufacturer. ......

Andrew i'm done trying to help but you'll probably figure it out eventually. Do i cook on a PBC No but there is ZERO NADDA ZILCH difference in cooking in that then anything i own. I know you hate to admit it but it's a 30 gallon drum with a charcoal basket. I have that.

You stopped trying to perfect your craft of your PBC BBQ...and i'm not talking rubs and sauces, i'm talking fire and smoke.

I'm out. :plane:

Andrew i'm done trying to help but you'll probably figure it out eventually. Do i cook on a PBC No but there is ZERO NADDA ZILCH difference in cooking in that then anything i own. I know you hate to admit it but it's a 30 gallon drum with a charcoal basket. I have that.

You stopped trying to perfect your craft of your PBC BBQ...and i'm not talking rubs and sauces, i'm talking fire and smoke.

I'm out. :plane:

I like you better when you are cooking for block parties than when you try to tell people they are doing it wrong, when thousands and thousands of people are having success following the inventor's instructions. But then again that's why we love ya. "See you in another life brotha."

If only you _were_ "out". But, sadly, you will come back into this thread with your opinions and advice, even though you don't have a PBC and are far from appreciative of it.

I like you better when you are cooking for block parties than when you try to tell people they are doing it wrong, when thousands and thousands of people are having success following the inventor's instructions. But then again that's why we love ya. "See you in another life brotha."

It's about helping people improve Bob...NOT what they are doing wrong or could be doing different.

If you use the PERFECT cooker, and the PERFECT method then i suppose there is no improving. my bad.

:doh:

Cooking in the rain, with a PBC

It all started out good.
Nice piece of brisket, rubbed and ready. Hot PBC, hung the meat.
As the meat hit about 155F the heavy dark clouds and high winds moved in. I normally crutch at 160F, but I wrapped this a little early, and got the lid on.

Then the skies opened .. Thunder ,lightning, and water bounincing and boiling on top of the PBC. Too bad I cannot upload a video clip or I would show you this going on. I put ziplock bags on the electronics and all was good.

The goods news, is the brisket was great. The bad news, the wet footprints on the hardwood floor.. ( Happy wife, Happy life. :drama: ), but she soon forgot that with the good eats and happy visitors.

One side was corn on the Cob, husk off, spicy butter basted, and charred on the gas grill ( that was fun in the rain too, but my son got assigned to that. ).
The other pan fried baby round potatos , served cold in potato salad..

Sorry no pictures for the second part. We had a big group, and beer was flowing at that point.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 264
PBC in the rain part 2

I am pretty new here. Tried to post three picks, but only one seems to have showed.

Please let me try again. I read pictures are preferred here.

Can only seem to get one to show per post?

Anyway you can almost see that this packer had a really big point. Best eating in my book.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 268
Final rain shot

It actually boiled on top once the rain slowed down.
Does not appear to have hurt the PBC.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 263
For pics most use a hosting service like Photobucket, ImageShack or TinyPic. Once you establish an account and upload your pics, you can use the link info they supply to enter the pic into your posts. If you have Dropbox or similar there are similar capabilities.

Uploading a pic directly into your post uses space on the forum server, so it is limited as you found out.

Which part of the brisket do you prefer?

So this newbie now has three packer briskest under his belt.

When we serve in our house, the point goes first. Is this typical?

The flat seems best for sandwiches, but I need to come up with something to put on it. Perhaps some sautéed onions and BBQ sauce.

I do find full packers a touch long for the PBC, the end of this one was actually touching the handle on the grill basket. This end of the flat was still tasty though.

Pics

For pics most use a hosting service like Photobucket, ImageShack or TinyPic. Once you establish an account and upload your pics, you can use the link info they supply to enter the pic into your posts. If you have Dropbox or similar there are similar capabilities.

Uploading a pic directly into your post uses space on the forum server, so it is limited as you found out.

I will give photobucket a try.

Thanks

So this newbie now has three packer briskest under his belt.

When we serve in our house, the point goes first. Is this typical?

The flat seems best for sandwiches, but I need to come up with something to put on it. Perhaps some sautéed onions and BBQ sauce.

I do find full packers a touch long for the PBC, the end of this one was actually touching the handle on the grill basket. This end of the flat was still tasty though.

I think most prefer the point as it is more juicy and flavorful.

As long as the tip of meat isn't hitting the coals you are ok. The last 1 inch of the tip might get a little over done but some like it as a sonewhat crunchy snack. The rest of the meat will be fine. Same with ribs.

If you keep meat about 2-3" above the coals it'll all cook evenly. Just trim it if you don't want that last 1" over cooked.

It's about helping people improve Bob...NOT what they are doing wrong or could be doing different.

If you use the PERFECT cooker, and the PERFECT method then i suppose there is no improving. my bad.

:doh:

Regarding your statement I bolded above, well said. Bet you heard that from Patio Daddio when he was waxing poetically about the PBC and his method of starting the coals with lighter fluid. So you have been listening all this time!

ok, im in the middle of a cook now. i reused some of he charcoal but spent some time mixing in the new with the old. took out 40 pieces of the new charcoal and put it in the chimney. while it was lighting i made a whole for the lit charcoal to go into. i waited for 16 minutes before i put the lit into the void and then put it into the pbc. i let it sit inside the pbc with the lid cracked and the rebar out for 15 min to get it hot, then i put the rebar in, closed the lid and waited 15 minutes before i hung the bird. the bird is currently cooking, and the smoke coming out of it is much clearer than the previous cook. ill keep you up to date with the results

well because my computer is so slow its been an hr and a half already and the smoke is so much more cleaner than before. previous cook was def a thick smoke, now it is almost a clear blue

thank you brethren for helping me solve my problem!!!

You don't need to crack the lid and pull a bar after you pour on the coals. Just pour on hot coals, put in the rebar and put the lid on. Just wait 15 min or so before you add any meat.

Not gonna get back into the charcoal lighting debate and will just say whatever works for you is great! :thumb: Just realize that in the PBC meat hangs and drips on the hot coals. This creates smoke as well from the drippings burning. Chicken will not create a bunch of this smoke but something fattier like a pork butt will. I'm only telling you this because the smoke will be thicker with fattier cuts of meat or a full PBC load of meat. Don't confuse it with the bad smoke you get from not having a good fire in the PBC which it sounds like you had before.

ok, im in the middle of a cook now. i reused some of he charcoal but spent some time mixing in the new with the old. took out 40 pieces of the new charcoal and put it in the chimney. while it was lighting i made a whole for the lit charcoal to go into. i waited for 16 minutes before i put the lit into the void and then put it into the pbc. i let it sit inside the pbc with the lid cracked and the rebar out for 15 min to get it hot, then i put the rebar in, closed the lid and waited 15 minutes before i hung the bird. the bird is currently cooking, and the smoke coming out of it is much clearer than the previous cook. ill keep you up to date with the results

well because my computer is so slow its been an hr and a half already and the smoke is so much more cleaner than before. previous cook was def a thick smoke, now it is almost a clear blue

thank you brethren for helping me solve my problem!!!
Something I do also for (non long) cooks is just start with partial burnt and partial burnt wood chunks in the chimney . It's perfect because basically the volatiles so to speak are burnt off already and it gets hot quick and good quality smoke quick.

So the wood chunks that are around your perimeter along with partial coals that aren't fully burnt are perfect starter the next.

Yea you did real good Js! It doesn't matter what charcoal cooker you use, small hot fires RULE. What could just be a pretty good cook becomes a phenomenal cook....I call it a "clean" smoke if that makes sense.

Andrew is right about the grease dripping smoke...happens with fatty birds as well.

It gets to the point you will know you have good charcoal /wood chunk smoke automatically by using the small hot fire practice and when you see the gray grease smoke your nose will tell you it's good.

idk, this set up worked this cook! ive never had a better bird. now time to enjoy my chicken and noodles. might try the enchiladas tomorrow night hmmm.....

Back