2019 Fall SW Bash Planning

Any thoughts about Ute Lake?

- Google Maps Link

Reasonable access to I-40 via Tucumcari.

First, last and only time I've been to Ute Lake was a summer day trip over from Conchas Lake - I remember lots of snakes...

October is cooler, I don't expect as many snakes to be out and about.
Logan has 4 motels according to their website, so that's a plus.
Late October should be 60's for highs, 40's for lows and the wind shouldn't be bad.

Closest airport is Amarillo by about 50 miles. ABQ is next closest.

The 19th is up in the air for me. I might be catering a wedding for 250 people. I will keep you all posted.

Hey everyone,
On the way back from a great time in Albuquerque we stopped by Percha Dam camp grounds and checked it out. It is a Great area to have the bash. I talked with a campground host and he does not see any problem with us having smokers set up cooking all night. There our park rangers that Patrol the campground. Alcohol should not be a problem as long as it does not get out of control. There is a 10:00 quiet time that is enforced. they do have bathrooms and shower facilities. If somebody wants to stay in a hotel it would be at Elephant Butte. They do also have RV hookups there as well. He suggests that we get a couple of sites to accommodate the group. They do have a group shelter which cost $90 a day plus $10 per vehicle.

Hey everyone,
On the way back from a great time in Albuquerque we stopped by Percha Dam camp grounds and checked it out. It is a Great area to have the bash. I talked with a campground host and he does not see any problem with us having smokers set up cooking all night. There our park rangers that Patrol the campground. Alcohol should not be a problem as long as it does not get out of control. There is a 10:00 quiet time that is enforced. they do have bathrooms and shower facilities. If somebody wants to stay in a hotel it would be at Elephant Butte. They do also have RV hookups there as well. He suggests that we get a couple of sites to accommodate the group. They do have a group shelter which cost $90 a day plus $10 per vehicle.

I have some fond memories of Percha Dam State park. It would definitely work for me.

As Allen said, it would be a great place for a bash:

Plenty of hook ups for RVs.

Sites for tent camping.

Hotels less than 30 minutes away in Truth or Consequences.

2 hours and 15 minutes away from Albequerque airport.
1 hour and 40 minutes away fro El Paso airport.

I would have no problem chipping in to pay for the group shelter.

So what does every one else think?

I think it's a warmer choice than Ute, plus we can always run down to Hatch if we run low on green chile :wink:
Come in on Friday 10/11, leave Sunday 10/13?

I'm trying to block off some time from farming to be there.

I'll have to look into whether to fly in or drive down, either way love the route!

:whoo:I really am looking forward to this Bash.
Hopefully a lot of our Brethren will be able to make it.:pray:

So who else is in? Scott, Marc, Bob? I know this is another short notice bash. But we are moving at the speed of the Southwest. Lol. I'm going to put up a post in QTalk and see if we get anymore bites from the other SW folks.

I'm trying to work my schedule to match. It's tough when I'm the only "old head" around and everybody seems to need an instructor or evaluator. Currently on a trip that runs through that weekend. Will advise if I'm able to shift anything around.

Shortfork is in, we're booking a room in TorC. The roughing it in the truck tent days are over...

I have reserved my camping spot. Be in spot 25. Not sure which smoker I'm bringing yet. Might just be the drum. Mrs. Farmer will be there on Friday night. I'm bringing another couple with me. Now I need to decide what to cook. I will bring a couple of tables as well. Bringing the disco as well.

I think I'm going to cook a green chile stuffed pork loin and of course a couple of neckid fatties.

Last edited:
I am in!! Not sure about the bride!! Need some help from the other ladies going. Not sure what to cook maybe I will do breakfast!! Kinda tired of cooking 15 to 20 brisket a week!! Lol
O am game for whatever!!
Salsa????

I am in!! Not sure about the bride!! Need some help from the other ladies going. Not sure what to cook maybe I will do breakfast!! Kinda tired of cooking 15 to 20 brisket a week!! Lol
O am game for whatever!!
Salsa????

My wife and George's wife will be there. There is a fire pit at each spot so you can do some fire roasted salsa. Bring some cooking wood.

Back