• Huh?

Votes: 27 57.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

effinUker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm talking about the Grinder.

I've seen them done a couple ways. (Well, more than that if you consider the sliced lunchmeat sandwich they call a Grinder out east.)

These are what I'm talking about.

1) A grilled hamburger with swiss cheese, grilled ham, lettuce, tomato, onion, and Western dressing.

2) A grilled hamburger with swiss cheese, grilled ham, lettuce, tomato, onion, and Thousand Island dressing.

Single patty or double on a longer bun - I've seen them both ways too, but I'm more looking for what you consider the proper dressing.

How do you define the Grinder?

Is There a Difference Between Hoagies, Heroes, Subs, and Grinders? by Kelli Foster
https://www.thekitchn.com/hoagies-h...ats-the-deal-with-these-sandwich-names-222944

hoagies-vs-grinders-vs-sub-marine-sandwiches (From the Houston Press)

Grinder: I have never ever heard anyone south of the Mason-Dixon Line mention a "grinder" unless the word "nutmeg" immediately preceded it. Okay, well, that's an exaggeration, but I seriously cannot recall the last time I heard that word in Texas. The only time, in fact, I regularly encounter "grinder" is in New York and New Jersey, where it's used more often to describe a spherical sandwich that is toasted and/or contains hot ingredients such as meatballs, sliced chicken, etc.

Sub: "Sub" is pretty much ubiquitous nationwide (thanks, perhaps, to Subway), though it seems the vaguest of the three terms. There are hot subs and cold subs, subs with cold cuts (turkey), subs with hot meats (chicken parmesan), subs that are short, subs that are long.

Hoagie: More strongly associated with Italian-American culture, and in my observation used only to refer to sandwiches containing cold cuts such as ham, salami, turkey, etc. Also, when people use the term "hoagie," they most often seem to be referring to a sandwich that is at least 12 inches in length, if not longer

Some of you may also wonder why the po-boy and the gyro (hero) are not included in this meditation on sandwiches. The short answer is that I see both as more readily distinguished by their distinctive components and less tenuous links to different ethnic groups.

So, perhaps all grinders are subs but not all subs are grinders? Are hoagies and subs basically interchangeable?

https://www.houstonpress.com/restaurants/hoagies-vs-grinders-vs-sub-marine-sandwiches-6436641

I like western dressing on my salads; never used it as a sandwich condiment but i'm gonna have to try it now. Western salad dressing seems to be a regional thing judging by the replies here.

Western is like Catalina.

Yup, and in ND they are generally called "French" dressing by everyone, even labeled as such on salad bars and menus......Weird! Cuz I've never seen a bottle of "French" dressing in the store. We all buy Western and Catalina and still call it French. :crazy:

Also in ND, the only grinder I've ever heard of is a taco grinder. Have never seen them done with burger patties.

I've never heard of Western dressing. Here in Massholia, we eat Subs, but all the sub shops call them Grinders.
I've seen Catalina and French dressing on the store shelves here never Western. They also sell Russian dressing, which is essentially mayo and ketchup.

I've seen Catalina and French dressing on the store shelves here never Western.

It's much closer to a Catalina than a French but your comparison is spot on. I'd forgotten about Western dressing and absolutely LOVED it. Great on veggies as a dip - never thought of it as an actual condiment on a sammy by any name.

Sent the G/F the link and hopefully will have some soon. It could be a "northern" thing cuz that's where I first had it and the O/P is from them parts.

Thanks for the memories. :clap2:

Back