• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Newbie: Brisket Questions on a BGE (LG)

scruffee81

Reaction score
First post, so hopefully im not breaking any rules and I am posting in the right section.

I am the new owner of a LG BGE and my nieghbor across the street is busting my chops about throwing out the cash for this smoker. He says his 21.5" weber can do anything my BGE can do....I beg to differ. So he challenged me to a brisket grill/smoke off this Sunday.

This is not my first cook on the BGE,..so Im semi familiar with stablilizing/ holding temp. But this will be my FIRST attempt at a brisket...which Ive read is a tough meat to cook...

So, im off doing tons of research and ran across this site (love it btw). Looking for some advice from EggHeads that have experience with smoking a Brisket on the BGE.

Here is what i THINK i know so far...
  1. I want to smoke the Brisket for a LONG time...12-16 hrs
  2. Cook/Smoke at 225F as steadily as possible (im using a DigiQ DX2)
  3. Pull off at internal temp of 185 degrees
  4. After pulling of...wrap in foil,...wrap in towel and let sit in cooler for 3+hrs
  5. Cut against the grain
  6. Hopefully enjoy
Questions.

1. How long should I smoke it for?
2. When it says internal temp of 185 degrees shouldnt I pull of at like 175 degrees because the temp will rise about 10-15 degrees while at rest?
3. Am I missing anything?

Thanks for any/all help

-Robert

You will get hundreds of different ideas on this, here is my 2 cents worth.
Cook it 250-275 and do not pull it until probe tender, every brisket you do will be finished at a different time and different temp.

Most here don't by Internal Temp - we go by probe tender which could happen at. 195 or 210*'or anywhere in between - each brisket is different.
Probe tender is like sliding an ice pick into warm pudding.

Half the folk on here ( including me) like HotnFast 300-325* smokes (. 6-8-10 hr cooks) - and butcher paper better than foil. And 1-2 hr rests before slicing

I run brisket fat down (towards fire) 4 hrs at 300* and then wrap 2 layers of Butcher paper and another 2 hrs then I start checking for probe tender every 30-45 minutes starting at end of hr 6.

Dry but sliceable brisket = undercooked
Crumbles when you slice it = over cooked
Overcooked tastes 10 times better than Undercooked! :mrgreen:

Look T this:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

I bet your buddy's kettle can't do this:

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WxBZRFbSaDU[/ame]

Remember to Burp your Egg

Oh Ya ....... Probe the thick part of the flat - sideways. And ignore the point - it's Evil and will try to fool you.

P.S. Go ahead and slice off a corner of the flat - against the grain - precook. :wink:

Smitty, thanks for the tips and thread to review. Great tips there. Love the video! Ive heard about "flash burns" with the EGG. That video demonstrates exactly why Ill have my neighbor open up my EGG for me the next time I cook a pizza.....jk. I wouldnt do that.

Thanks again! Glad I found this place!

-robert

im still trying to picture sliding an ice pick into warm pudding...

question...why put the fat side down (closer to the fire). Why wouldnt you want the fat side up and have the fat juices run into the meat vs out?

Heat shield - fat cap don't render out - I don't care what anybody says- you melt/render the marbled fat in the meat - that's where the juice and tastes comes from.

Some guys cut fat cap off completely - most trim it down to 1/4".

Probe into room temperature stick of butter = probe tender.

The probe tender feeling is just like Smitty said " like a ice pick in pudding or warm butter. There will be no reisitance. Forget about IT's. Good luck!

Trim off ALL Hard Fat

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ed8L5RLyLeI[/ame]

Give me half the point of the brisket and i'll go over to your house and cook it for you on your BGE.

I am a Weber Kettle ninja and I can cook dang near anything on mine, but what separates the BGE from the Weber Kettle is the fuel efficiency and the ability to run at 600+ degrees without damaging itself.

What type of wood will you be using? I tend to use a mixture of hickory and apple. More of hickory than apple.

No, No, tnfan - Brisket by the laws of the State of Texas MUST be cooked over: 1. oak, 2. mesquite, 3. pecan, or 4. hickory. No fruit woods allowed in brisket cooking!!!!

To the OP - My experience most briskets are done in the 205 to 208 degree internal temperature range. I start probing at 195 degrees.

I use the Texas Crutch - wrapping in foil - after about 5 hours. It really helps get through the stall. Purists would argue, but I am going to eat the sucker, not put it in a museum!

I prefer cooking in the 225 to 250 range. I think the flavor is better when cooked at those temps, but that is a family preference. Hot and fast is good, but low temp is great! I am a mesquite fan myself as far as wood. My son likes pecan. (West Texas boys.)

To quote the old Boy Scout adage: Keep It Simple, Make It Fun!

Cooking a BGE against a Weber? Keep your flag of surrender handy.

But Seriously...Use a choice or better cut. That's the single best advantage you can have to start.

Should have challenged him to steaks. I bet your egg could out sear him.

My tip would be to place a small bowl or can under the brisket. Something to keep juices from pooling on the top. You can take the bowl out after a few hours. It helps form the bark.

I am by no means an expert on cooking brisket, but when I cook one, I get the biggest foil pan I can find at grocery store and put it on the plate below the grill grate. I keep water in it the entire cook. It makes my brisket better and my family agrees.

thanks guys for all your input. this is actually the second challenge against the neighbor. first was ribs. he lost. so since he lost...he wanted a rematch...he picked brisket this time....not my choice. Ive never dealt with brisket before,...but look forward to trying it out.

have to say, I love this forum. the feedback is quick and invaluable as everyone has their own style. ive taken some ideas from multiple users and i will report back once the cook off is done. ill let you guys know how I did: temp/time/ final internal temp/ tenderness/ taste/ and if I won.

as far as what wood i will be using....i decided to go with mesquite chunks (not soaked)

-robert

Give me half the point of the brisket and i'll go over to your house and cook it for you on your BGE.

I am a Weber Kettle ninja and I can cook dang near anything on mine, but what separates the BGE from the Weber Kettle is the fuel efficiency and the ability to run at 600+ degrees without damaging itself.

at aawa

just noticed you were in Virginia Beach. Nice. Im in the Princess Anne Area, near what used to be called the "Amphitheatre"

-robert

Back