Austin Smoke Works

longwayfromhome

Full Fledged Farker
Was in Philly visiting my daughter's family (timed perfectly for my grand-daughter's first day in kindergarten :-D). One evening we went to the local park (Pretzel Park in Manayunk) and there was a setup of "Parks on Tap", a travelling beer-garden that is hitting 20 parks in Philly this summer. Great idea.

I was surprised to see a big smoker there. Upon enquiry I found that the POT owner is a BBQ fan and this season is trying it out to see if it makes commercial sense. The smoker is made by John Lewis (of Franklin and La Barbecue fame) and family members at Austin Smoke Works. As these are fairly new, I thought a few pictures would be interesting. Even this "small" 2 door unit is a big hunk of steel. Some notes from a conversation with the guy in charge and from some cursory observation.

1. The BBQ was excellent off it. Considering the cook is fairly new and all alone onsite, he should be pretty happy. Brisket that night was especially good.
2. I believe this is the smallest unit they make, with 'only' two doors. The firebox looks enormous and seemed heavily insulated. Air supply was by adjusting the door opening. Did I say the firebox looked enormous?
3. In a sparsely loaded smoker, they used the lower rack, and put wood pieces on the top. They said this was to mimic the effects created by a full load of meat.
4. I liked how they had done the nameplate!

Anyway, some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_2924 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2924 (Small).JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_2923 (Small).jpg
    IMG_2923 (Small).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_2930 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2930 (Small).JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_2928 (Small).jpg