Texas BBQ...I've looked

TXBronco

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've searched the threads and it seems there are some posts about Texas BBQ. Seeing how Franklin has some good que, and his wife is from my town, I have tried it, stood in line and whatnot. Tyler's BBQ here in town is really good and Tyler is a nice guy. My question is, What is Texas BBQ and BBQ sauce. I'm from the Texas Panhandle, flavors change depending on region here. It seems that Texas BBQ is however you want it to be, just add course black pepper. I'm okay with that, I add black pepper to my rubs, sauces, meals, even tried roasting coffee with it. Am I right to assume that while other parts of the Country has different actual cook styles and sauces and brines and rubs, Texas is the 'Just add Black Pepper' State? Born in Louisiana, lived in Texas 34 years.

From what I have seen and read about, Texas bbq has more black pepper, cayenne pepper, and different chilis than other rubs. BBQ Sauce it seems to be more on the savory side than the sweeter side.

This is attributed to the fact that beef is the common meat of bbq in Texas and spicy/savory flavors go really well with beef.

Here's a great site about TX BBQ:

http://www.tmbbq.com

Daniel Vaughn - the guy who runs the site - wrote a great book called "Prophets of Smoked Meat" which covers most if not all of the different styles of TX BBQ. He's eaten at a zillion places and I've been to a few of them and I find his take on things to be spot on IMO.

Based on what I understand, Texas BBQ is more beef and less pork with more heat in the sauce and spice.

True Texas BBQ is ABP (Anything But Pork) S&P is the backbone where it all started with the CENTX German & Czechs, savory sauces. With Mexican influence ( bring on the chili peppers and goats) as you get south & west. In the east you get more pork and things get sweeter. In the N&W Plains its a mix of Beef, Pork, Mutton & Goat with a blend of heat & sweet.

Tyler's is good the sauce is a bit sweet. The meat is good even cooked on his gas fired wood assisted Oiler (?) pits. He made TMM list of top 50 q joints.

To me, Texas BBQ is cooked on a wood burning pit with a mild to spicy sauce. More smoke flavoring than sauce. Not KC or Memphis style

From what I've seen at least around these parts is it's heavy on the black pepper, with a thin, savory and spicy sauce.

Pork is getting much easier to find, but not necessarily pulled pork. Plenty of pig ribs and sausage. Obviously beef is king, but just about anything can go on a smoker.

Hickory and mesquite are more common up here, hickory gets replaced with oak as you go south.

You can never go wrong anywhere in TX with a hunk of meat, cooked properly, with heavy salt, pepper, and smoke.

Texas BBQ varies depending on what part of the state you are in. A lot of things are the same. The holy trinity of Texas BBQ meats are brisket, sausage and pork ribs. The main difference is the type of woods used for smoking and some variations on sauce. Sausage does vary depending on where you are. Rubs are fairly simple wherever you go though.

Everybody knows central texas style BBQ, with simple rubs, post oak smoke and what not. Sausage can be Czech style, but is probably more German style. But you get down to the central coastal area and the river low lands, you get more into pecan smoke with some post oak, but still savory sauces. you have a larger Czech population in these areas, so the sausage is even better down here than in central Texas in my opinion. The best stuff comes from the smaller butcher shops. You get into the East Texas piney woods area and you will see Hickory being the main wood used with sweeter sauces. Pork ribs are very popular, but you will also see a large amount of brisket still. The sausage in east Texas is generally and all beef, extremely greasy, but really good link style sausage. North, West and South Texas you will see a lot of mesquite used.

The large cities are generally melting pots and you can get a varied product that is influenced by one or even all Texas regions.

Here's a great site about TX BBQ:

http://www.tmbbq.com

Daniel Vaughn - the guy who runs the site - wrote a great book called "Prophets of Smoked Meat" which covers most if not all of the different styles of TX BBQ. He's eaten at a zillion places and I've been to a few of them and I find his take on things to be spot on IMO.
I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

Tyler's is good the sauce is a bit sweet. The meat is good even cooked on his gas fired wood assisted Oiler (?) pits.
I agree and I'm not sure what beast his cooker is.

I never thought about the lack of Pork. Maybe that explains my fascination for butts...Pulled Pork that is. I'm hoping to come up with a Carolina inspired Texas Butt soon.

Back