• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lone Star Grillz Vertical Insulated Cabinet Smoker-For the new Owner

Thanks for the advice! I might end up removing them from the order. I am a novice smoker and do it as a hobby. So I figured I can use all the help I can get . Just excited to smoke and make great food.

On the 3rd extra grate, still thinking on it. I figure, better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Thanks for the advice! I might end up removing them from the order. I am a novice smoker and do it as a hobby. So I figured I can use all the help I can get . Just excited to smoke and make great food.

On the 3rd extra grate, still thinking on it. I figure, better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I ordered mine with all seven positions welded in but only ordered one extra grate (5 total ). But mine is the regular size not the mini. I’ve yet to need more space for what I do. With the Mini, having the extra grates may come in handy. But at least get all 7 positions welded in so you can arrange it like you want.

There are several reasons why it can jump. Spacing may be to narrow. ATC fan blowing hot ash (especially if the controller doesn't run a variable speed fan, 25cfm bursts of air can stir a lot of ash). Wood embers are also a likely reason, especially really dried wood like you would find in per-packaged bags will "pop" more than would more properly seasoned wood will do. Transfer from underneath can also be a contributing factor, small coals fall down into the ash pan roll a little and then transfer up. Leaving the fire box door closed during the cook will also decrease the chance of this happening since every time you open the door you are stoking the fire increasing the chance for all of the above to happen.

Chris
Lone Star Grillz

Oh hey Chris, thanks!

After weeks of being torn between the LSG IVC and a Pitmaker Vault, I put my deposit on the LSG. Now begins the 6 long weeks of waiting.
Upgrades include:
T-Plates(I know some of you don't like them)
The vinyl Cover(It will be outside by my pool most of its life).
Heat diverter
3 Extra Racks and positions.
S.S. Handle

I opted not for a side table as my spring project is an out door kitchen that it will sit in. Until then I have plenty of folding tables here.

Pretty sure it was 8 when I ordered my cabinet. It was 16 when I got the stick burner. :eek:

Cover

I’ve been meaning to post this, broke down and ordered a Cove Point cover in October. I was tired of cleaning dust off. Working with Bill was a breeze and the quality of the cover is awesome. Easy to take on an off:)

Attachments

• 6B8C1518-842B-4474-B1A4-A91BB33C6BC8.jpg
    6B8C1518-842B-4474-B1A4-A91BB33C6BC8.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 484
Are those Cove Point covers water proof and for folks that have no covering to keep them under? I have got to do something other than a tarp. Mines been rained on several times and water gets in it for sure. Causes mold and some rust until I burn it off and re-oil it.

The use marine fabric that is mold resistant I believe the brand is Sunbrella, and it’s water Resistant as well. Doesn’t mean water proof tho....

Agree. Water resistant, not waterproof. But they are seriously heavy duty covers. I think that with the 10 year warranty, they are worth the investment.

My wait begins today. Confirmed order on my Insulated Cabinet Smoker. Added on the Competition Cart, T-Plates, heat diverter plate, two extra rails and racks for flexibility, and a vinyl cover.

They say current lead time is about 8 weeks. This is gonna be the longest 8 weeks of my life.

Put my deposit down Monday on the Mini with some options. Probably going to add some metal art for our tailgating and LSU events.

Could anyone give me the height at the highest point of the Mini, and which wheels you have? I went with the 8" wheels. Looking at getting another trailer, but the smaller enclosed trailers are only 60" tall. Was wondering if it will fit, seems like i remember reading a hundred pages or so back that the standards are a little taller.

Got the big boy Ruger, so I can't answer your question, sorry. Someone will probably chime in soon, or you could email Chris. He answered all of my questions quickly. Probably was glad when I got my pit so I would go away. :)

Abe, I haven't heard many of us that bought the T-Plates that really use them. I'll let someone else respond or you can read this long thread to see. Mine are seasoned, in a plastic bag, in the garage. Only saw that season burn.

Not sure if they are really necessary. Not sure how long you need to cook, but I have poured KBB from front left around the back and up to front right, cooked all night, did briskets first, then a turkey and ribs, and still had charcoal left.

Again, read back or see what others respond. Up to you...

I read the comments in here about the T-Plates, and I certainly understand. But I've always used T-Plates in my vertical smokers. I just like them. I can arrange my charcoal and wood chunks in the exact way I like, and the results are typically predictable. Also, it looks pretty. Maybe it's an OCD thing. Either way, in the grand scheme, it's not a huge investment.

Mini IVS tips

Thanks for all of the helpful info. I just completed my first cook, last night and had a 2am alarm that the pit temp dropped to around 180. I didn't have any issues, the night before when Inlet it run all night at 250 for the seasoning process. The main difference is that I did fill the water bin full, after up to 225. I drained the remaining water at 2am and opened the valves to get it back up to temp. I do have a DigiQ hooked up but do notice an appx 15 degree temp difference with the guru showing hitter than the smoker gauge. I did have the stack closed to appx 1/3 and the vent on the guru to appx 1/3 but the ball valve was open all of the way. When I went back down at 8 am the pit was at appx. 275 and the pork butts were done. Any suggestions overall? Is it normal to experience an appx 15 degree temp difference with the DigiQ being hotter? I do have the DigiQ tree probe holder and have it located appx level with the pit was my first cook, so I'm sure that it will take time to learn the pit. I am open to suggestions. Thanks!

Back