ConvictedPigsQ

Found some matches.
Long time viewer of BBQ Brethren, finally got an account...

So I have been smoking pretty hard for about 5 years and even recently went to Comp Q school, so I got an okay knowledge on how to do things when it comes to BBQ, but still learning... But anyways, last year I purchased a Lang 48 and a Humphrey's Battle Box. Currently I am trying to sell the Lang because I just bought a Myron Mixon G33 (gravity feed) so I can actually sleep at night on the long cooks. I am really comfortable with my Humphrey's BB and it produces some fine, moist & tasty meats, but I am having issues with my MM gravity feed as the gravity feed process is brand new to me. I just got the smoker and I have smoked a pork shoulder for pulled pork, wings and a brisket (3 separate cooks). In the mean time, I have put a lot of smoke through it to try to get it seasoned as best as I can. With that said, I have not been satisfied with the taste so far on those 3 cooks (lack of smoke flavor in the meat).

I have 2 different questions; the first is about the lack of smoke flavor in my meats on the MM G33 compared to what I am used to with my other smokers & my second question is firing up the gravity feed smoker, its taking me almost 2 hrs to get it up to temp.

1) Like I mentioned before, my meat has very little smoke flavor to it. What I am doing is when the MM G33 is up to temp I add the wood chunks to the ash pan so the red ambers will fall on them to create the smoke (this is how I was taught in comp school). And when I do this, it appears smoke is coming out the stack just fine and an hour or two later all the wood has burnt and is ash. When the chunks are gone I add more to the ash pan and once again it creates good smoke. My last cook I did the same process and even added come chunks and chips to the charcoal chute about every pound or so and my brisket I did last night once again had very little smoke flavor (used post oak & cherry). I have never had an issue with smoke flavor on my Lang or Humphrey's BB.

2) Taking forever to heat up the MM G33. I know it's a big smoker, but I believe there has to be a trick to speed up this process. What I been doing is I add a full tray of amber red charcoals to the chute and then I add the rest of my charcoal on top of that (Kingsford charcoal). I then close the charcoal chute door and leave the ash pan door open slightly to get a air draft going on the red amber charcoals. Any tips or tricks to get the smoker up to temp quicker, other than a large torch? FYI, once it gets up to temp I close the ash pan door and use my BBQ Guru and everything is fine from there.

Thank You All

Try a harsher wood like mesquite and get a weed burner to preheat the cook chamber. Might also try a bigger piece of wood rather than chunks.

1) I have a Stumps Baby XL gravity fed (similar) and add smoke wood exactly as you do but I use Mesquite when smoking a brisket. I keep my top smoke stack about 3/4 closed to keep the smoke from escaping the cook chamber so rapidly.

2) I plan on two hours to get my Stumps Baby XL up to cook temperature (250F). This was a huge adjustment for me as my previous smoker heated up very quickly. I simply fill the fuel chute with lump, light at the bottom grate area and allow lump to catch fire with the fuel chute lid open. Once adequately lit, I close the chute lid and allow the BBQ Guru Digi II to bellow the fire and begin heating/drafting through the cook chamber. I haven't found any faster method to reach cook temperature. The beauty is that once you reach your cook temperature (250F) you are set for approximately 12+ hours of unregulated/tampering cooking.

Hello, I just found this message on Google while looking for help myself. Are you still using the MMS G33? I bought one so I could try start a business.

Aaron

Back