Makin' bacon

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I decided to try my hand at making some bacon using a pork belly I picked up from Costco. The belly was about 10lbs, and I used about 2/3 of it on two different cure recipes. I'm a big fan of the thick sliced cured Kirkland brand bacon that Costco sells for just slightly more than raw pork belly, so I told myself it'd have to turn out pretty tasty to justify the time and effort over read-to-eat bacon. After eating a few slices I can indeed confirm the time and effort was worth it and I'll be doing this again in the future :thumb:. I wanted to smoke it on the Shirley but it just wasn't in the cards this weekend and it needed to be cooked. I'm happy with how it turned out on the Primo with some hickory and cherrry, but I think a wood fire in the stick burner would take it up another notch. I got three 1lb packs of slices, another 1.5lbs I'm keeping in the fridge to eat this week, and a half bound of cubed ends I'm saving for some future recipe, ought to have a lot of flavor being on the outside edge.

Looks great..would you share (1) temp of the grill (2) temp of the finished product..thanks. I ask because this is one of two things I want to do..the other is make jerky..all on the grill.

Back