View Single Post
Old 03-06-2015, 05:17 PM   #20
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

I use SGH and coarse black pepper no glue. I start out fat down until I get ready to wrap. I then place the brisket in an aluminum pan with a variation of Rick's Sinful Marinade. I put a few slices of onions and carrots and whole garlic cloves in the marinade and place the Brisket on top of of the vegetables , fat side down. On top I place a sheet of Butcher paper and fold it over the edges of the pan. The purpose is to capture the brisket stock as it cooks but allow the water vapor to evaporate and condense the stock and to prevent the brisket from being coated by too much smoke. When the brisket is tender. I remove the paper, brisket and vegetables from the drippings (stock). I then place the foil pan on a counter top and flip the brisket to meat side down to soften the bark in the juice but not remove it while the brisket rests. I leave it like this for about 15 minutes then remove the brisket and drain the juice into an ice chilled pan. I then flip back to fat down and lightly cover with foil while it rests.
The panned juices are then place in an ice bath to allow setting of the surface fat. Allow the brisket to rest until the fat becomes solid and can easily be removed with a spoon.
The liquid can then be adjusted with seasonings if needed and either added to your favorite sauce or just used as a sauce alone. If allowed to completely cool depending on the reduction, the juice will turn to a gelatinous substance ( smoked brisket stock)
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote