Keychain thermapen!!

These may be good for pork loin or chicken, but the probe doesn't seem long enough to reach the center of a butt or brisket.

I got one of these for free when I bought my Thermapen. I just took it on vacation with me and did a lot of grilling while I was there. It came in handy, but there were a couple of problems with it. It is not long enough to get a temp on thick cuts of meat. It did great with the chicken and pork chops I grilled, but was useless on the rib roast. It is also not long enough (or fast enough) to take a temp while the meat is on a hot grill without burning the hairs off your fingers (trust me). But this is easily overcome by removeing the meat to take the temp, then returning it to the grill. The other issue is that it gets turned on too easily while in your pocket. I would turn it off, stick it in my pocket, and every time I pulled it out, it was already on. Now that said, after 10 days of being on much of the time, it never went dead. But the battery will drain sooner or later because of this.

Back